How to delete/erase (and choose) a user tone ?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
graspieper

How to delete/erase (and choose) a user tone ?

Post by graspieper »

Hi,

I got myself an FA06 last weekend, and I'm enjoying it a lot.
However, one thing I can't figure out, is how to delete/erase a user tone...
(I tweaked one of the organs, 'wrote' it to a user preset, and now it sits in the way...)

Any help is welcome!

Kind regards,
Steven
cello

Re: How to delete/erase a user tone ?

Post by cello »

With your user tone highlighted press shift + tone edit (tone edit appears on the screen when you press shift).

Along the bottom of next screen is Tone Utility - press it.

Now you get an options box, one of which is tone initialise which is the same as erase - removes the sound and makes it freeto be used again.

Hope that helps
Rupertt

Post by Rupertt »

I imported a bunch of integra sounds and would like to get rid of them, any way to delete a selection of sounds?
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

Either restore a previous backup without those sounds or init tone one at a time.
rolandgurl

Post by rolandgurl »

Hi, dont know if this is the place but i'm having a hard time trying to FIND them...I have started sculpting my own tones but they seem to get scatered everywhere.. I need to visaulize with charts and diagrams... not finding mutch on PCM editing and where they are kept. I'm a little slow but I have been tweeking syths my whole life, what am I missing? IT gets better as you learn its ways but somthing in the complex file box is not letting me put my user tones in an orderly place. or even unlocked they somtimes REVERT...then you've got TFX IFX and MFX all seeming to go their own direction (yes the effect is part of the actual tone model) and YES the supernatural acoustic waves have litle to no modulation access....ok im a little confused, the manual is very scarce of detail... and they made it so preset its hard to just store my own voices somewhere in its memory for quick and easy recall ...the studio set set up is sort of working for me but i still cant recall or easely place one of my edited and wrote voices in a slot from 1-16.....
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Rolandgurl,

I'm pretty sure they go into the category from which they came. So if you modify an EP sound, it is in the EP list. It has the word USER in front of it but I think the order of the list determined by the Tone name (not sure about this). I only say that because your USER tones don't necessarily appear at the bottom or top of the list, they fall into the list based on some protocol be it alphabetical or otherwise, making them even harder to find!

And as far as I can tell, you can't select where a Tone gets saved.

Good luck!
Joe
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

rolandgurl wrote:Hi, dont know if this is the place but i'm having a hard time trying to FIND them...I have started sculpting my own tones but they seem to get scatered everywhere.. I need to visaulize with charts and diagrams... not finding mutch on PCM editing and where they are kept. I'm a little slow but I have been tweeking syths my whole life, what am I missing? IT gets better as you learn its ways but somthing in the complex file box is not letting me put my user tones in an orderly place. or even unlocked they somtimes REVERT...then you've got TFX IFX and MFX all seeming to go their own direction (yes the effect is part of the actual tone model) and YES the supernatural acoustic waves have litle to no modulation access....ok im a little confused, the manual is very scarce of detail... and they made it so preset its hard to just store my own voices somewhere in its memory for quick and easy recall ...the studio set set up is sort of working for me but i still cant recall or easely place one of my edited and wrote voices in a slot from 1-16.....
Hi Rolandgurl.

When editing a tone, look under the 'Common' tab. There you will find the 'Category' option where you can assign your Tone to any number of instrument types including a 'No Assign' option. Before writing your tone, make sure that you choose the Category you wish your USER tone to be located. You may prefer most of your edited tones to be located in the 'No Assign' category for instance.

You can also access all of your USER tones on the main screen by choosing the UNLOCK option to the right of the category icon. (When locked, this option limits your sound selection to the current chosen category.) Then simply choose your USER bank next to the LEVEL setting and then dial through your sounds.

Hope this helps.
PiaKnowGuy
Skijumptoes

Re: How to delete/erase (and choose) a user tone ?

Post by Skijumptoes »

Unlocking the category is the best way to find user tones in my opinion, as everything is just in numbered order then, don't forget you can hold the shift button while turning the dial to scroll through quicker too.
rolandgurl

Post by rolandgurl »

Yay I found them! it turns out that each synth engine has its own number spaces.. so 199 on PCMS is NOT 199 on SNS...
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Ah, you're talking about the actual wave data that makes up the tones? Yes, you're right SN-S wave list is different than PCM-S.

In fact, there's quite some considerable differences, there's 4 partials to a tone in PCM-S, and only 3 for SN-S, for example. But of course SN-S is a far better engine to my ears, filter sounds nicer, i don't know if that's because of the core sounds being of better quality, but it's generally much smoother imo.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Ah, you're talking about the actual wave data that makes up the tones? Yes, you're right SN-S wave list is different than PCM-S.
Hi Skijumptoes.

I'm not absolutely sure, however , I believe that she is talking about the fact that the number of Tones (not partials or waveforms) that can be saved in each USER section is dependent on the synth engine that is used. For example -

SN-A (Super-natural Acoustic tones) have 128 USER slots available
SN-S (Super-natural Synth tones) have 512 USER slots
SN-D (Super-natural Drums) have 8 USER slots
PCMS (Pulse Code Modulated Synth tones) have 256 USER slots
PCMD (Pulse Code Modulated Drums) have 32 USER slots

Just to clarify
Cheers!
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Ah! Yes, sorry, i'm usually working when i post here so my mind not 100% on it! :)
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hey. No need to apologize. We really appreciate your involvement in this forum! Have a good one. And like I said, I'm the one who could be wrong . . .
RoFa08

Post by RoFa08 »

Gatorjohn wrote:Either restore a previous backup without those sounds or init tone one at a time.
Hi! I'm a proud owner of FA08.
I want to delete a bank of user tones (130), I have no previous backup, so have I really to delete one at a time?
There isn't another smarter way?
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

You could log into the Roland support site and dnload the contents of the sd card as shipped onto another sd card (or overwrite your current one).