PGM change to external Device

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
bennyseven

PGM change to external Device

Post by bennyseven »

Hello, I am again fighting with the Midi program change from a studio set to my second key (NE3).
I can not get this to work. When I select the studio set, nothing is sent over Midi out.
But when I go into the edit studio set and dial any tone number (no use of banks with the NE3), it works fine. For me it is not usable on stage where I want to switch my sets fast.

Has anyone a solution for this kind of OS bug ?
Thanks.
Bennyseven
dan88z

Re: PGM change to external Device

Post by dan88z »

It works for me sending to my Hammond. The program change will only send the corresponding studio set number- so if you pull up studio set 10, it'll pull up program 10 on the Nord. Double check the midi receive settings on the Nord, it might need bank info as well.
graspieper

Post by graspieper »

That's rather useless in a live setting...
It would be much better to select a certain studio set, containing all the sounds you want to use,
and that one of the parts would trigger the external sound sources, eg. the NE...
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Thank you, dan88z.

After I turned the "Studio Set Control Channel" in the "system setup/MIDI" to my Nord channel (11), this works fine. It is more or less a workaround (coming from the Fantoms).
Hmm, I now have to completely re-arrange my Nord program setup...
But it is a solution so far.
dan88z

Post by dan88z »

Yes, I had to do the same on my Hammond, rearrange where the presets were stored. I have a lot of duplicate organ sounds doing it this way but it works fine.
Edmusic63

Post by Edmusic63 »

I couldn't solve the problem either with my stage EX. I made a workaround with my iPad and the app Setlistmaker. It is setup to send program changes to the FA and the Nord when selecting a song. Although you need an additional MIDI splitter, it works fine.
I guess there are several iOS and/or android apps that will do this trick.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Yes, I am currently using the setlistmaker too. Very good App, but I didn't observe the Midi plugin yet. Seems to me a very good idea to setup the boards with the iPad. Thank You!
Edmusic63

Post by Edmusic63 »

I believe the MIDI functions are an in-app purchase, but I am not sure. You can create Midi presets wich include the Program Changes on each individual instrument. These Midi presets can be linked to a song. Use the automation function to send the program changes via MIDI as soon as you select a song. On a gig you select your next song via the iPad and your keyboards will follow...
I use iRig Midi as an interface on the ipad, so i have to split the MIDI signals via a splitter to the FA and the Nord.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

Yes, the midi options of set list maker are available as an additional purchase. There is also an app called imidipatchbay, which rearranges midi channels and can create split zones on keyboards which have no split options themselves. Both apps can work in combination.
Synthdance

Post by Synthdance »

Hello everyone,

I've just bought FA-06 few days ago, but I am long time Roland fan, my previous workstation was Fantom G6.

FA-06 is unfortunately missing the straightforward ability to use external midi instruments in Studio Sets, as it was possible with Fantom G6 (no EXT instrument setting, no way of transmitting bank select and program change from within Studio Sets). However, I managed to find several workarounds...

First of all, FA-06 does transmit note and control data via Midi Out on a channel corresponding to the number of particular part, i.e. part 1 transmits midi data on channel 1, part 2 on channel 2, etc.

FA-06 also transmits bank select and program change messages while selecting it's own banks and patches - this is of not much use, as those bank and program change numbers are specific to this model and basically mess up the patch selection in external synths - I would recommend switching off transmission of those commands in System menu when working with external midi gear.

In sequencer mode, there is an option to assign particular part to either internal FA engine or external midi device or both, however there seems to be a bug there - if external is chosen, internal engine still sounds (and it should not). My workaround is to create mute (not sounding) PCM user patches with all partials switched off and to name them after external synths I want to sequence, i.e. mute PCM patch named "Triton Rack". Now when in sequencer let's say I want to use my Triton on midi channel 4. I go to part 4, select my "Triton Rack" patch and this part sends midi data via Midi Out on channel 4. Of course this still does not solve sending bank select and pg messages to external synths, but at least I can sequence external synth on a particular midi channel and thanks to my mute patch, internal engine does not sound and thanks to naming this patch after external synth, I know which part is sequencing which external synth :)

Once we know which patch is to be used on external synth, it can be recalled by editing sequence data in Microscope edit. Going back to my previous example, I have made a non sounding patch named after external synth and chosen it for part 4. Once part 4 is highlighted, go to Microscope edit and create new event. Here you can select CC00, CC32 event and PC event - effectively allowing to embedd bank select and program change messages into the sequence itself.

This should be also useful for playing live (using Studio Sets). All program changes and bank select messages for external midi gear can be inserted into song with corresponding name and this song (containing only BS and PC data) can be "played" before the show, effectively selecting all the necessary patches on external gear. This of course assumes that one is not using sequencer during live performance, but only Studio Sets for splits and layers.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mac
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

yes this was my first approach, but unfortunately a song cannot be saved as favorites. So, to manually load a song on stage and play those short 'command' bars is too much klick and workload between the song.
But if a setup stays for one complete set this is of course a good solution!
HonesVonHonestein

Post by HonesVonHonestein »

This is a very creative solution. I wonder do you think it would be possible to still use the sequencer by setting up the beginning of the song as you start and then set to it up in the next few bars to change the settings needed to use the sequencer set up again to play
SteveBTF

Post by SteveBTF »

Hi Just to let you know Roland have an update to version 2.00 which now allows you to use the FA06 as a Master Keyboard and send Bank and Patch information when you select studio set.

Go to this link for more info:

https://www.roland.com/uk/support/by_pr ... 0fd7805d1/