Question about sequencer

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
gglitch

Question about sequencer

Post by gglitch »

Hello people,
I'm writing in desperation and feeling like an ignoramus. I swear I've scoured both the sequencer section of the Fa-06 manual and the helpful posts to this board, but I cannot figure out how to move the cursor directly to a specific measure - all I seem to be able to do is use the forward and backward button. I saw someone else describe using the arrow keys to move the cursor to the display of the measure number and using the pads in numeric mode to just tap in the desired measure, but I can't seem to get the cursor up to the measure indicator, it just won't go over there. I'm sure it's something obvious and I'm a fool, but I'm at wit's end. Thanks for any help.
cda

Re: Question about sequencer

Post by cda »

I don't think it's possible to do this. At least, I have been unable to find a way of doing it. Hopefully I am wrong and someone will chime in and put me right!

Cheers,

CDA.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

As workarround (until someone finds another way) you can use the jog dial in combination with shift key to speed up the dial in a measure. Cursor keys is too much workload.
Also the transport control back and forward should work.
Floydtom

Post by Floydtom »

I saw a video that said in another function, the shift key would jump 10 at a time vs. one at a time for regular ... See if that works.... I'm a newbie too. I just got mine 2 weeks ago... Still learning
cda

Post by cda »

Thanks, bunnyseven, for this info - I didn't know the wheel would work this way. I will try it.

Floydtom - thanks for that info. What made you opt for the Roland over the Yamaha MOXF in the end? I saw your post on Motifator. I think the Roland is more "synthy" than the MOX - I have both.

Cheers,

C.
Floydtom

Post by Floydtom »

I think it is easier to learn and a brand new design. The piano, electric piano, strings, and vocal sounds just blew me away.... The B3 is better than Yamaha, but I didn't like the leslie effect as much, but I am now learning the leslie can be adjusted!! How cool is that!! I am basically a piano player, so those are the main sounds I use...The MOxf 8 seemed to much like my other keyboard. Now that I actually own the FA08, I am learning its strengths and weaknesses, they always have both. The supernatural sounds are smokin. I am going to learn the sequencer, but I have to get studio sets enough to play a gig first priority.
madAhorn

Post by madAhorn »

Any editing brings you back to measure 1. Needs to be fixed!

The only way I know to scroll measures faster is to
press the forward button and while holding press the rewind button.
Or the opposite to rewind fast.
cda

Post by cda »

bennyseven wrote:As workarround (until someone finds another way) you can use the jog dial in combination with shift key to speed up the dial in a measure. .
Hi bennyseven. Do you mean it is possible to use the wheel to move backwards and forwards in the sequencer, or have I misunderstood you? I tried to use it this way, but I couldn't get it to work.

Cheers,

CDA.
cda

Post by cda »

Floydtom wrote:I think it is easier to learn and a brand new design. The piano, electric piano, strings, and vocal sounds just blew me away.... The B3 is better than Yamaha, but I didn't like the leslie effect as much, but I am now learning the leslie can be adjusted!! How cool is that!! I am basically a piano player, so those are the main sounds I use...The MOxf 8 seemed to much like my other keyboard. Now that I actually own the FA08, I am learning its strengths and weaknesses, they always have both. The supernatural sounds are smokin. I am going to learn the sequencer, but I have to get studio sets enough to play a gig first priority.
Hi Floydtom.

Well you certainly made the right choice where ease of use is concerned! I like the MOX but it was incredibly frustrating to learn certain aspects of it. The sequencer I was familiar with, coming from an RM1X, but editing sounds and setting up fx...yikes! I think the synth sounds and editing on the FA are better than the MOX. I can see myself using the MOX for solo strings and guitar etc.

The FA sequencer is pretty straight forward once you get used to it, as I have been. The only thing is that it returns to bar 1 after you edit anything.

CDA.
cda

Post by cda »

madAhorn wrote:Any editing brings you back to measure 1. Needs to be fixed!
Yes! It most certainly does! Check out:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48491&p=280483#p280483

CDA.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

i don't think this is a bug. It may be misdesign.

If you leave micro edit in any row with EXIT key, it'll start uo at measue 001-01-000.

BUT, if you leave micro edit woth CURSOR LEFT key (may require multiple left keys, depending the column you are editing) IT WILL STAY AT THE CURRENT measure!

Never noticed that, when I edit a song, but always asked me, what other user do different.

Cheers.
noviceguy

Post by noviceguy »

Yeah, I'm a piano player too. Wishing I'd bought the 08 instead of the 06, didn't want to spend the extra cash. Missing my old FP5. Is it possible to use, say the FP5 with the 06 and have the work station capabilities? I was hoping to learn the sequencer. Quite a learning curve for an old guy!