024 TW Organ modify with Harmonic Bars

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Candy

024 TW Organ modify with Harmonic Bars

Post by Candy »

The 024 TW Organ you can modify with the Harmonic Bars (16´, 5-1/3´, 8´, 4´, 2-2/3´, 2´, 1-3/5´, 1-1/3´, 1´) in the display (see page 27 in the Parameter Guide). You also can modify them with f.e. the Oceanbeach DB-1 Drawbar-Controller, which is formaly created for the Nordleads, but also for any other organ-Keyboards, even the FA-Synthesizers.
Someone knows, which messages need the "Drawbars" in the FA? MIDI? SyEx? Which ones?
Same question: Someone knows, which messages the DB-1 Controller sends, that you can modify the Harmonics in the Sound 24 TW Organ?

Candy
bennyseven

Re: 024 TW Organ modify with Harmonic Bars

Post by bennyseven »

Hi Candy,
did you check the ModifyParameter (page 30 Para Guide) ? Did you record turning the JogDial on a virtual Drawbar and checked, if sth. and what is recorded in the track ?
Otherwise, you can create a sysex record in the sequencer and trial and error on that ModifyParameter which exists only in the "SuperNATURAL Acoustic Tone Common" structure.
Greetings,
bennyseven
Candy

Post by Candy »

In the internal sequencer it was not possible, to record these datas (or I did something wrong). But another user sent me a Midi-File and I analyzed the track. There are SysEx-Datas, not CC!
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

yes, seems to be a good approach. CC is only for Leakage/Noise level adjustment.
I think the sysex stuff will make it.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Ok, I tried at home with the sysex strings and it really works. For that specific task turning in an out the drawbars in the SN-A sound TW Organ, I found out the following:

As I assumed, the "Modify Parameter" are associated to the 9 drawbars in this tone.
So, the sysex commands have to be:

Code: Select all

F0 41 10 00 00 77 12 19 02 00 22+x 0y [ckecksum] F7
where x is the numberof the drawbar (0 to 8)
and y the value (0 to 8)
checksum has to be calculated automatically when inserted as sysex command in the sequencer or manually (see Midi Manualpage 36).

Example (put it into the sequencer:

F0 41 10 00 00 77 12 19 02 00 22 07 43 F7
will set the 1st drawbar to 7

Anyone interested in more sysex stuff here ?

have fun,
bennyseven
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

The other question: I could not find out what kind of non-CC messages the DB-1 is able to send since it seems to work only with CC messages. For that I could not find any way to control the FA's drawbars (which would be cool to control them partly with the knobs!).
Anyway, Ocean Beach advertises explicit with the compatibility to the FA, so there must be a way hopefully.

Thus in the manuals I didn't find a way of programming the DB-1 with other than CC messages...
musicman100

Post by musicman100 »

bennyseven wrote:The other question: I could not find out what kind of non-CC messages the DB-1 is able to send since it seems to work only with CC messages. For that I could not find any way to control the FA's drawbars (which would be cool to control them partly with the knobs!).
Anyway, Ocean Beach advertises explicit with the compatibility to the FA, so there must be a way hopefully.

Thus in the manuals I didn't find a way of programming the DB-1 with other than CC messages...
The DB1 sends sys-ex depending on the settings of the dip switches and the programming you send it from the configuration utility.
I have an FA06 that the db1 works wonderful with, but it is sys-ex,
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

ah, that is great, musicman100.
So anyway it is no problem with the db1.
Are there presets for the FA or did you program it?
musicman100

Post by musicman100 »

bennyseven wrote:ah, that is great, musicman100.
So anyway it is no problem with the db1.
Are there presets for the FA or did you program it?
with the DB1 configuration its all AUTOMATIC.

hook the db1 up to your laptop via midi , bring up the program, select the Fa06/08 and load, BUT you ave to tell it what part the organ will reside in . so in other words, if you select part one, the tone wheel ALWAYS will have to occupy part one to respond the the db1..
Johan_B

Post by Johan_B »

bennyseven wrote:

have fun,
bennyseven
Sure more sysex stuff!!
I just found the Android App Midi Commander where I can send PCs, CCs and also Sysex.
Can you help me by walking thru an example?

1. How do I have to setup the FA06 to receive the sysex-messages? Midi-channel, etc.

2. I want e.g. change the volume of different parts/tracks with my android tablet. As the mixer on the FA06 is really tiny I would be great to mix the tracks by using my tablet. Is this possible by using the sysex commands on page 18, right hand column?
If not walk my just thru an example of yours.

LFT
Tomdini

Post by Tomdini »

bennyseven wrote:Ok, I tried at home with the sysex strings and it really works. For that specific task turning in an out the drawbars in the SN-A sound TW Organ, I found out the following:

As I assumed, the "Modify Parameter" are associated to the 9 drawbars in this tone.
So, the sysex commands have to be:

F0 41 10 00 00 77 12 19 02 00 22+x 0y [ckecksum] F7
where x is the numberof the drawbar (0 to 8)
and y the value (0 to 8)
checksum has to be calculated automatically when inserted as sysex command in the sequencer or manually (see Midi Manualpage 36).

Example (put it into the sequencer:

F0 41 10 00 00 77 12 19 02 00 22 07 43 F7
will set the 1st drawbar to 7

have fun,
bennyseven
That is very useful information, thank you.

The DB-1 has been upgraded to work with all the major organ engines. It does send MIDI CC's but you can configure it with the PC configurator software to convert those CC's to SysEx info by telling it which tonewheel engine you need it to work with (e.g., Roland or Korg, both of which use SysEx for the organ drawbars).

However, I am considering either a MIDI Event Processor box or a Novation keyboard controller for transmitting these SysEx messages to my FA-06, both of which have to be manually programmed for the purpose. Thus, any information you can provide on the appropriate SysEx messages is very helpful to someone like me who is not a SysEx expert, but who IS tech-savvy enough to program a MIDI box or controller if I had the correct info from the get-go.

-Tom
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Tom, it isn't nothing more then my quoted sysex strings. Set X to the drawbar and Y to the propriate value. I don't know about the Novation gear. Calculate the checksum, or type them into the FA sequencer, and the checksum is autocalculated. Transfer the strings into the Novation or Midi box.
Another way might be a Midi controller software for IOS, would be nice to have the drawbars on an iphone or pad on top of the FA...
Blueturtle

Post by Blueturtle »

Was someone able to control the Harmonic Bars from external midi controller?
Candy

Post by Candy »

So, now u are able, to control the harmonic bars with iPad. I programmed a feature in Midi Designer, which works very well. MIDI Designer 12 is free in the moment, it allows only 12 functions, but it´s ok for the drawbars. The other festures i built for Midi Designer Pro with a lot more features. If you want to have the programms, please write an Email to candycgn1@web.de and tell, which version you need !

Candy
IMG_0348_kl.png
IMG_0348_kl.png (54 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

very good job, candy. Dankeschön!