Application to share Studio Sets and Tones

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
epostmiba

Application to share Studio Sets and Tones

Post by epostmiba »

Hello everyone!

I've created a simple program for importing and exporting Studio Sets and Tones to and from the FA 06/08. The program performs a bulk dump on selected Studio Set which then is saved to file. The same kind of file can then also be imported through the program to any Studio Set. Tones are "shipped" within the Studio Sets so any USER-Tones within a Studio Set is also exported/imported.

The purpose with the program is to enable a simple way to share Studio Sets and Tones with each other (ie by putting them up on http://www.jp-80.com/fa/fa.html). Since the fileformat is clean sysex it is also possible to import/export this files through other programs than this (eg by manually perform a Bulk Dump to/from MIDI-OX or similar).

I don't know where to put the program so I put it under my band's website. It's found under the link http://www.lajvorkestern.se/lajvorkestern.se/FA0608/. The file "setup.zip" contains the installer and "FinalCountdown.syx" is an example if you want to try it out (it's the Studio Set I currently use for the song Final Countdown).

I have put up a screenshot if you want to see how it looks. To use the program, you must install the drivers for the FA 06/08 and connect your FA 06/08 to your computer via USB-cable (same procedure as when connecting to a DAW). The program never saves any thing on your synth. So you must always manually press write to save a imported Studio Set or Tone.

The program is built for PC/Windows and I have only tested it on Windows7, so there might be problems with other versions. But I sincerely hope not.
Attachments
Screenshot on FA0608_ImportExport
Screenshot on FA0608_ImportExport
FA0608_ImportExport.png (72.07 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
bennyseven

Re: Application to share Studio Sets and Tones

Post by bennyseven »

Very nice work, epostmiba.
Good for all of us who have no DAW and want to use a quick stand alone solution.
Maybe you come up with more features ...

cheers,
bennyseven
cello

Post by cello »

This is great! Thanks for developing/sharing.

I hope your app helps to promote sound-sharing in the FA community.
Español

Post by Español »

Now in its day (August 25, 2014) "epostmiba" he told us about he was working with an editor for the FA for a while (PC) and exporting/importing individual Studio Sets using SysEx; in which I asked him a few questions, which have been answered now.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48903

Roland should learn from users who demand improvements and upgrades for our products .............

Thanks for your work.
thunderz2000

Post by thunderz2000 »

hello

great work. How can I download the final countdown syx and get it into a studio set.
What settings should the program be set to..
Confused a bit
epostmiba

Post by epostmiba »

Hi!

I was going to write a small manual and add it to the program, but I actually forgot it...

Press the "Setup"-button in the program and select "FA0608" as MIDI-devices (both in and out). If "FA0608" isn't the lists it might be because the drivers from Roland isn't properly installed or that the synth is not properly connected to the computer. Once you have contact with the synth (use the "Test Connection"-button to test), you are ready to import / export.

Now you can choose to load the Studio Set's you have on your synth via the "Load"-button. It's optional but it might be little bit easier to actualy see the Studio Sets in the program and not only on the synth. The function retrieves only the names and runs decently fast (even if loading all 512 Studio Sets would take quite som time...) .

Import FinalCountdown.syx:
1. Download the file from the Web page and add it to any location on your computer.
2. Press the "Import"-button on the Studio Set where you want to import it.
3. Now you will see a file dialog. Locate the file you downloaded, select it and press Ok.
4. Now it is imported, and that's it.

The data of an imported Studio Set is saved within the program as long as the program is running. So it will be sent to the synth every time you select it in the list. But you must press WRITE on the synth to save it permanently on the synth.

The export function works the same way except that you select where to save the file with the Studio set you export.

I hope it became a little bit clearer!
thunderz2000

Post by thunderz2000 »

thanks for that.
The problem im having is that the final countdown file downloads only as a web page not a sys file.
Can you throw some light on that....cheers
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Did you try right click and save file ?
thunderz2000

Post by thunderz2000 »

yes mate i did
seems to save as a web page
in html
epostmiba

Post by epostmiba »

Strange. Are you sure your mouse points at FinalCountdown.syx when you select the right mouse button? Because if you happen to point to "Parent Directory", that page will be downloaded as html.

What kind of browser do you otherwise use?
thunderz2000

Post by thunderz2000 »

Hello
yes im pointing at sys file on your band site it downloads as html.
I use firefox on win 8.1

Cheers
epostmiba

Post by epostmiba »

Ok, I'll try on Firefox my self tomorow and get back. But a better solution is to load up the file on http://www.jp-80.com/ where it belongs. So I'll do that to (and perhaps a couple of others...).
cello

Post by cello »

Hi - I'll grab the .exe and .sys then zip them and upload them to the FA section at the JP-80 website. That should make sure no-one has problems downloading.

Edited to add - the app and the Final Countdown files are now available to download
epostmiba

Post by epostmiba »

Thanks Cello! Very much appreciated.

Probably a stupid question, but how do I do if I want to upload files on http://www.jp-80.com/?
cello

Post by cello »

No problem - happy to help; really appreciate you allowing me to share your work at the Repository :)

The only way to upload things is through me. That way I control quality. Just email me the files you want to upload, I test them (or have selected others do that if I don't have the kit - XT for example) and then I update the site.

You can use the admin@jp-80.com email address to get to me.