How to keep the glossy FA surface clean?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
michaeldanny

Re: How to keep the glossy FA surface clean?

Post by michaeldanny »

Thanks Myrk! I hope I will hear from you soon! I have sent you my contacts on personal message, just for easier communication purpose.
michaeldanny

Post by michaeldanny »

Myrk: The design is fully done and tested on paper cutouts to work, just need a supplier to make it. The full graphic panels are off the cards for now as most suppliers are quoting insane money, even if it's screen printed. I'll have a look when I'm back from travelling next week as it seems there's a fair few people who'd want it, and would be a shame to put all the effort to waste![/quote]

thanks myrk! please do update and if you do not mind give me your facebook or email contact :)
thanks a lot man
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Myrk,
How are these going to be fastened, and do you have an estimate of the cost?
Regards,
Joe
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

There's a posting in the Roland FA on facebook about this too. Just wanted to make sure that the wheel wasn't being duplicated here or there. Or maybe competition is a good thing? ;-)
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

But back on track for this topic, I've found the best thing to keep my whole rig clean and clear is a really soft feathery duster. I use the Pledge Grab-it duster with throw away heads for when it gets manky.

It changed the game!
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

I just keep a beach towel over mine while not in use.
jx3please

Post by jx3please »

Just found this thread.

I would love to change the panels to a bright red to match my Nord, but might be interested in other designs - anything to get rid of the ridiculous glossy dust attracting panels!

Myrk - I'm an architect in UK and use CAD. Would you be willing to share your CAD drawing so that I could try and design my own variant and approach firms here in UK?
jx3please

Post by jx3please »

I contacted a graphics firm and got this reply:

"Good news, we can certainly produce a matt overlay with the graphics reproduced. Not so good news, unfortunately its not going to be cheap.
Us drawing new artwork:
We would need to have the Roland FA06 here so that we could measure the position of the buttons / dials etc and ensure the new overlay missed them. This would require us to draw up the artwork and then make a series of prototypes to ensure the overlays fitted correctly, before finally producing them with printed graphics.
I would expect this to take someone the best part of a day and a half to complete at minimum just to get to the point where we have accurate artwork and are ready to produce the final item to be applied onto the keyboard. At first glance it looks like an easy job but its the time it takes to measure the location of everything and then reproduce it accurately in artwork.
A rough estimate would be £270 + vat. This assumes the keyboard is delivered to here.
Once we know more specific details then we'll be able to give an accurate quote.
Artwork being supplied by yourself:
If you are able to get the overlay artwork from Roland, or draw it yourself, in a vector format (.ai / .eps), and we're able to add graphics onto it, it would be £85 + vat
We can then print the overlays and despatch them from here for you to apply. Of course you / Roland would take the responsibility that the artwork sent to us is the correct size and will fit around buttons etc."

For those outside the UK, VAT (Value Added Tax) is 20%.
So, if anyone has accurate drawings of the FA it might not be too bad.
I am also exploring the possibility of producing it myself. I am an architect, so use CAD, and I have a friend who is a surveyor and uses photogrammetry, which is where you use software to convert a 3D photo into a 2D image, which can then be scaled, measured, etc.

I'll post any more news!
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Hey jx3please, not sure what you are trying to achieve here with doubling up of work, investment costs, and a more expensive overlay of same (or possibly worse quality - I have gone through all the steps to secure us all a high quality overlay, including clear protective screen panels and other unique features, multiple prototypes, etc). I am working on different colour variants, if there were enough people wanting red then I can do this (need at least 15-20 people to do a minimum batch run - if there are 50 people interested the price is lower, we all make savings in numbers!).

I'm sure many have seen how happy the JD-XA guys were on their overlays - these will be very similar! Please be patient! They are coming, this has been weeks and weeks of hard work on many fronts to make this happen! Location wise as of February/March 2017 I will be based in UK again (I'm an architect, been in HK for work for the last 5 years).

Can we put this thread back on track, there is a specific thread for my overlay panels, and if you have details you want to discuss PM me ;)
jx3please

Post by jx3please »

Hi Myrk
Just sent you PM but it seems to be stuck in Outbox and can't find a way to get it sent properly - not used pm before so probably just me !?
Neil ForestTree

Post by Neil ForestTree »

I use a green gel for computer keyboards and phones that moulds itself around the buttons. So it takes dust off without any wiping of the surface that is going to cause scratches.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C6LS64I/ ... _ttl_sol_3