How to keep the glossy FA surface clean?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
bennyseven

Re: How to keep the glossy FA surface clean?

Post by bennyseven »

Oh, I have FA-06. So we have to order two different versions?
JPWC

Post by JPWC »

I bought the overlay for the JD-XA, excellent quality and just what the doctor order for my older eyes. Definitely, put me down for a set for FA06, and the JD-Xi. Right now I've got P-Touch lable on the the panels.
thedecider

Post by thedecider »

bennyseven wrote:Oh, I have FA-06. So we have to order two different versions?
I believe both instruments share the same size panels, but cannot confirm.

When I am able I will measure my panels and post the measurements for the FA-08. Can someone reading this please do the some for the FA-06?

Thanks in advance!
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

I think you're right. Just visually compared both keyboards at roland's site. They should have identical panel sections.
desernauta

Post by desernauta »

Beautiful ... but i think that it will be expensive
cresshead

Post by cresshead »

ALL my music kit is covered in yellow dusters when not in use..i've bought like 20+ of them!
from my Fa-06 to the mixer to my roland TD-30 drum kit....the dusters only come off when i play
keeps everything 'as new' PLUS you never have to search for a duster!
cda

Post by cda »

I had a bit of a shock a few days ago. I bought a new lamp for my work area. Now that my FA is properly illuminated I can see way more scratches, dust and finger prints on it than I thought there would be. I wipe the thing down almost every time I use it but it's STILL a complete mess.
kayriss

Post by kayriss »

thedecider wrote:Hello Roland Clan Community,

I've contacted Jamie at synthgraphics.com. If we can somehow put together a bulk order of 10-15 overlays (they will be matte), he said he would figure out a way to make the panels for us (he said he currently does not have an FA-08).

At the moment, I do not know what the cost is; I was not given an estimate.

Is there any interest? If so, please chime in!

Visit http://www.synthgraphics.com to see what this is all about and view samples of his work.
I may be a couple of months late, but if you're still looking to bulk out your order then please count me in!
thedecider

Post by thedecider »

Hey all,

Sorry I haven't commented here in months. Life got busy, but here's what I can tell from re-reading this thread. If I am wrong, or there need to be any updates, please chime in so we can put together a longer list and create the demand for Jamie at synthgraphics.

So far, it looks like the following from this community are interested in custom protective FA06/FA08 overlays:

1) thedecider
2) bennyseven
3) JPWC
4) desernauta
5) cda
6) kayriss

Are there more of you? Let us know and we can build up this list. A number of months back we'd emailed, and he'd said if we get 10-15 people for a bulk pre-order, he'd make it happen. That's all I know at this point.

Thanks, everyone!
scramble

Post by scramble »

I also use dust covers for all my keyboards and other gear.
scramble

Post by scramble »

I don't think I'd be interested in the custom overlay, at least not at the sort of price that the JD-XA one is going for. I actually don't mind the silver writing on the FA-08. I find it's quite easy to see in dark conditions -- it almost glows. But if someone can convince me that white writing will be better then I may go along.

But what I really want is a coloured overlay. I really hate black keyboards, they're so boring. But there's no chance of that happening. Might buy some stick-on vinyl and change the look myself.
endust

Post by endust »

Have you tried just using a dry micro-fiber cloth? That's what I use on my PC monitors and TVs and they work great for dust and finger prints.
endust

Post by endust »

thedecider wrote:Hey all,

Sorry I haven't commented here in months. Life got busy, but here's what I can tell from re-reading this thread. If I am wrong, or there need to be any updates, please chime in so we can put together a longer list and create the demand for Jamie at synthgraphics.

So far, it looks like the following from this community are interested in custom protective FA06/FA08 overlays:

1) thedecider
2) bennyseven
3) JPWC
4) desernauta
5) cda
6) kayriss

Are there more of you? Let us know and we can build up this list. A number of months back we'd emailed, and he'd said if we get 10-15 people for a bulk pre-order, he'd make it happen. That's all I know at this point.

Thanks, everyone!
Sure I'd be down. Sign me up!
thedecider

Post by thedecider »

Alright, endust! We're up to 7/10 needed to get this ball rolling.

By the way, regarding the microfiber computer cloths, I was using these for the first three weeks I had my FA. I removed dust, but as soon as the surface was lit, I could see that I'd left many tiny scratches on the surface all over the panels; it seems I'd moved more dust around, and whatever the cloth picked up was rubbed into the surface, resulting in further scratching. I ended up buying the little Swiffer Dusters Kit, and it has been a life saver. As far as I can tell, it does not scratch the surface, and is the best solution for cleaning up the panels. Water spots (from singing) are another unsolved mystery...any ideas? Anyways, here's the Swiffer link - hope this helps!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001S ... UTF8&psc=1

Updated list:

1) thedecider
2) bennyseven
3) JPWC
4) desernauta
5) cda
6) kayriss
7) endust

Getting closer!
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

bennyseven wrote:I have discovered this cool panel overlay. I wish they would produce some for the FA. Maybe we could order together and they will make some custom panels if we can gain sufficient demand...

http://www.synthgraphics.com/Roland_JD-XA_panel.html
I'm currently talking with him to print off a one-off I am designing for my FA-06 to match my JD-XA panels I got from him! If a lot of people are interested maybe we could do a batch run... though I've yet to design it. Give me a few days and I'll get it measured and drawn up!