How to keep the glossy FA surface clean?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
kayriss

Re: How to keep the glossy FA surface clean?

Post by kayriss »

Myrk- wrote:
bennyseven wrote:I have discovered this cool panel overlay. I wish they would produce some for the FA. Maybe we could order together and they will make some custom panels if we can gain sufficient demand...

http://www.synthgraphics.com/Roland_JD-XA_panel.html
I'm currently talking with him to print off a one-off I am designing for my FA-06 to match my JD-XA panels I got from him! If a lot of people are interested maybe we could do a batch run... though I've yet to design it. Give me a few days and I'll get it measured and drawn up!
Sounds great Myrk! Please count me in. Thank you so much! :-D
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

So I decided to go down the route of doing my own faceplate for the FA-06 (I can do the FA-08 too, it just involves changing 1 number :P). Speaking with Synth Graphics I couldn't justify the costs involved to get this one done, especially as I live in Hong Kong (doorstep to China and cheap materials!)

Anyway, I measured and drew up the faceplates last night in CAD, and I've done the 1st paper mockup! All good apart from 1 volume knob was 1mm out, and a couple of switches out by 0.5mm, so I'll fix them and do another mockup of that particular panel for checking (by the way the grey colour is just so I don't have to print jet black, and I didn't stick down the paper for this photo so the fit doesn't look quite right in the pic). I'll work on a more glamorous typeface for the front (anyone know what font Roland uses for their fronts of their synths?), then get the prototype built up in China from the same materials as the JD-XA faceplate everyone loves. I'll post some more pics when I have that, and gauge an interest level for how many I need to get made up.
20160921_203153 (Small).jpg
20160921_203153 (Small).jpg (117.88 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
JPWC

Post by JPWC »

Nice, even the grey base color is nice, nicer than the shiny, scratchy, unreadable surface I current have.

Sign me up for one FA06
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

I may even be able to do custom colours... I'll let people know. If people want one send me a PM on here so I can tally some numbers later on.
scramble

Post by scramble »

Looks good, count me in. I quite fancy a gold one (cheesy, I know). But I don't know if that will make the text too hard to read.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Send me a PM if you are interested! It's easier for me to keep track then :)

Update on how it's looking:
FA06 Faceplate (Small) (Mobile).jpg
FA06 Faceplate (Small) (Mobile).jpg (34.57 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
Haven't added on secondary functions or anything additional yet (gunna have a big gander through the parameter guide). Also not 100% on the font... it's close but not perfect (and that bugs me! haha). As for colours I'll let people know after the prototype - it will no doubt be a higher cost though unless a few people want the same colour. I may even look into doing a full customization service (custom coloured faceplates, screen protector [like on phones] and screensavers that match)... but early days yet.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Possibility of coloured graphic overlays is looking reasonable... but I need to check the print quality. A quick mockup test for the 1st graphic panel which I'll get made up in the next week or so:
Gundam Preview.jpg
Gundam Preview.jpg (250.47 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
scramble

Post by scramble »

Looking good. If things get going with it you should start a new, dedicated thread.
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

I saw this on another Forum, a Roland-made overlay for the JD-XA offered at no charge. I can't vouch for the validity of the link, but it sure looks good and would be great for the FA's:

https://ask.audio/articles/roland-jd-xa ... to-install
tomkitel

Post by tomkitel »

Hello Myrk-

Any news on your overlays for the FA06?

Cheers, Tom
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Not yet, still talking with suppliers. Seems to do the graphical style requires a completely different set of machines so for now it will just be the black standard variant (though I may be able to do colour variations of the simple design).
michaeldanny

Post by michaeldanny »

Hello Myrk! I am Danny and Im new to this forum. Just purchased a second hand fa-06 and would like to know more about your product. I am living in Singapore, hopefully you can ship to singapore. I will pay for the extra cost :)
michaeldanny

Post by michaeldanny »

Updated list:
So far, it looks like the following from this community are interested in custom protective FA06/FA08 overlays:

1) thedecider
2) bennyseven
3) JPWC
4) desernauta
5) cda
6) kayriss
7) endust
8) michaeldanny

can this be shipped to singapore? anyone knows the cost? thank u!
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Hey Danny,

Shipping isn't an issue, I'm located in Hong Kong and send other stuff around the world all the time (I design random products as a hobby and sell them off - working on high end electronic drumkits with integrated lighting at the moment, as well as a human sized Zaku Gundam wearable statue... next project may be a Midi-Masterkeyboard). More the issue is my current distaste towards Roland for not explaining that the FA-06 is a terrible external midi controller (but I won't go into that) which kinda put my search for suppliers on hold - hence the delay.

The design is fully done and tested on paper cutouts to work, just need a supplier to make it. The full graphic panels are off the cards for now as most suppliers are quoting insane money, even if it's screen printed. I'll have a look when I'm back from travelling next week as it seems there's a fair few people who'd want it, and would be a shame to put all the effort to waste!
tomkitel

Post by tomkitel »

michaeldanny wrote:Updated list:
So far, it looks like the following from this community are interested in custom protective FA06/FA08 overlays:

1) thedecider
2) bennyseven
3) JPWC
4) desernauta
5) cda
6) kayriss
7) endust
8) michaeldanny

can this be shipped to singapore? anyone knows the cost? thank u!
Please don't forget to add me to this list!

tomkitel