Post by prashik.bhosale20 »

Hey guy,
I want to buy a workstation
and I confused about to buy a korg krome or Roland ffa
please shade some light on this topic
marczellm

Re: Roland Fa or Korg krome

Post by marczellm »

Both have a very wide and versatile soundset. The biggest advantage of the FA is IMO the organ simulation, because the Krome only has sampled organs.
Fleer

Post by Fleer »

Basically, Krome is a rompler, FA is a real synth and a rompler.
Floydtom

Post by Floydtom »

I own both. I would say the FA has better overall sounds except Hammond organ.. More synths and way more selections of sounds.. The Korg is way lighter, has a fantastic piano and EP ( equal to FA), better Hammonds ( just my opinion), many good sounds, not near as many as FA... Neither has a convincing Leslie effect. The drums and drum patterns are easier to use on the Korg.

Overall, I think the FA is better sounding and more powerful.. The Korg is easier to use.

I mostly just play the keys... I am musician, not a programmer... So I set up combis, studio sets, and play... I couldn't help you on samplers, editing patches, etc... I do find the FA sequencer easy to use, I haven't tried the Korg, The Korg has more drum patterns ready to go. The FA has some and you can create your own in the sequencer using layered recording which makes it easy. I mainly use the Korg on gigs when I want a light keyboard or in a confined space. To be fair I have 88 key FA and 76 key Korg. FA has a weighted action ( I like) and 76 Korg is a synth action ( no resistance)... two different machines. But I like different things about each and I like them both. I think if I could only have one it would be the FA.
prashik.bhosale20

Thanks everyone for the replies i used keyboard for live Shows and want to change the patches quickly.
about 4-5 patch I used in one song
Lasseman

Post by Lasseman »

Well, if possible, listen to both keyboards at music store, it is personal what sound charactair musicians like.

I had Krome but sold it, because even the Piano sound was to much "metallic", as something was missing but is hard to describe.

Now I have Roland FA and the Piano sound is OK.

My girl plays Piano and she prefer Roland FA rather than Korg krome.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

I love the supernatural piano on my Jupiter 80, so even though I'm not very happy about the build quality, keybed feel or the interface/buttons (black and tiny, what where they thinking?), I'd go with the roland product for sounds. I owned the Krome and sold it. Hated the interface even more and I'm just not into workstation/sequencers, that's what laptops are for :)

I ended up buying a Korg SV1 73 recently to take on most of my Wurli sound work along with the excellent piano and synth sounds of my Jupiter 80.

I, too, live in a town with limited music store stock and could not test any of the keyboards i was interested in. It's been a couple of years of experimenting by purchase and resell on ebay after a time. I call it renting! :) Buy as cheaply as you can, though!
Cyrano

Post by Cyrano »

I own a FA 08 and, having extensively tried also the Krome, I can say:

- The FA 08 keybed is by far better
- While the Krome is a pure rompler (a very good one but only a rompler) the FA is a rompler+a VA synth+a sort of physical modeling machine (SNA) + a tonewheel organ clone...you can really make your personal sound especially in the synth department
- The FA has an integrated sound card, and a quite good one...plus audio over USB; the Krome hasn't these features
- The free of charge EXPs offer a lot of additional PCM based sounds (sometimes a bit older, but always good quality)
- The FA offers a pad sampler (very basic, no time stretching and no multisampling features) while the Krome doesn't...if you are in dance music, or you need to trigger audio effects, it can be a plus

On the other side, the Krome offer a nice touchscreen (not sure about its reliability), better arpeggiator and easier drum patterns section
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Good point, I love Audio over USB on my Jupiter and would miss it if I didn't have it now. Sure uncomplicates things!
Cyrano

Post by Cyrano »

You are so rigth! FA 08, an old notebook, audacity, an USB cable, some EQ and effects tweaking (using the great FA internal effects board)...and you are CD ready!
prashik.bhosale20

i think i should prefer korg for my live playing and its very easy to switch tones
what do you think ?
please tell me before i buy it.
and i don't used synth sound etc.
i am from india so i usually used ethnic, piano, strings, accoustic guitar, woodwinds.
Cyrano

Post by Cyrano »

Frankly, both are very good keyboards

In my humble opinion FA is more modern and open

As far as the easiness of use is concerned, both are very easy to operate

The touch screen could seems a plus, but: sometimes pushing a button is easier than hitting a very little spot on a touchscreen

A touchscreen is more prone to bugs and malfunction than a system based on hard buttons
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Do you have any other Roland synths? Or Korg Synths. Either one would be a nice compliment to one another.
Cyrano

Post by Cyrano »

Unfortunately, not nowadays...when I was young I was used to owe a juno 6, a jx3p, a ms 20, a m1, a dx7, a mt 32, an U 110 and some other gear I don't remember now...great ol'times... :-)
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Roland FA > Korg Krome