How do the FA-08/06 Pianos compare to the 700NX?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Lazerlike42

How do the FA-08/06 Pianos compare to the 700NX?

Post by Lazerlike42 »

I think I would prefer the FA due to it's wider range of sounds and features, but it is very important that the piano capabilities are up to snuff and I would choose the 700NX over the FA if they were not. (The 800 is a bit too pricey for me). I have spent many hours in the store A/Bing them, and ultimately it's been difficult for me to come to any kind of definitive conclusion. Sometimes, I think that they sound very similar and may share the same source samples, whereas other times I feel like they are very different. I am trying to make a purchase decision and am hoping others can share their opinions of information about these two options.

A few specific questions:

1) I have read conflicting reports about whether or not the FA pianos have damper resonance. I know it's not a tweakable setting in the tone edit menu, but is it just a "built in" effect or is it absent altogether in the FA? This would make the decision very easy as I consider it indispensable. On the one hand, there is no setting for it and I have heard several reports that it is in fact absent, but on the other hand it seems hard to believe that this would be left out and the manual does reference connecting a damper pedal to control subtle nuances in the piano sounds.

2) From A/Bing, I get the sense that the FA pianos decay much more quickly than the RD's. It sounds like when you strike and hold them, the note initial strike/attack sound transitions to the sustain and the overall sound fades away much sooner. I would be interested in others' opinions on this point.

3) On the other hand, it seems that the RD gets to sounding a bit muddy when playing multiple notes, whereas the FA's pianos come across more cleanly. Agree/disagree?

4) In going back and forth, there were times when I thought that the NX's Concert Grand patch sounded much fuller and "woody" than the FA's Full Grand #2 (which sounds the closest the the FA's tone), and other times when I thought that the NX's sounded thinner and more metallic than the FA's. Again, I'd be very curious to hear the opinions of others who have played or listened to both.