Control Change 7 volume - how to fade out

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
synthgirl910

Control Change 7 volume - how to fade out

Post by synthgirl910 »

I want to fade out all tracks for the last few measures of the song. From measure 87 to 98
Could not figure out how to do the first dang one!
I found Microscope and execute control change

I put volume 35 on measure 87 for the guitar track
Then I put zero on measure 98

Apparently that is not how its done. Can someone walk me through this? I figured I would have to do each track separately, there is prob not a function that says ....do this for all tracks....
And I did not say measure 1 through 86 is volume 35, must I put that in somewhere, too?
Please help me get this song done and ready to go to the vocalist! Thanks!
Onj

Re: Control Change 7 volume - how to fade out

Post by Onj »

Hi. I can't tell you how to do it, but I can tell you how *not* to do it. You do not use Volume for fades, you use expression, which is CC11.
Volumes are set at the start of a track and should most likely, not be changed at any time during the track. CC11 (expression) is set to 127 by default, so when you fade to 0, you won't have volume jumps and then fades.
Imagine this scenario:
You have a string patch on channel 5. It's volume level is 50.
You then do a global fade on all tracks starting at volume 100 to 0. Obviously, the string sound will jump immediately to 100, becoming jarringly and unnecessarily loud, then drop back with the rest of the piece.
Using CC11 will negate that, and the volume will fade gracefully away.

I don't know how you apply to all tracks, but I hope this will help you somewhat, at least.
Candy

Post by Candy »

I think, in this case you can use the track-copy function and copy the controller 11 to all tracks. Then change in the tracks the MIDI-Channels (1 to1, 2 to 2 and so on). Thats it!
jushiiin

Post by jushiiin »

Candy wrote:I think, in this case you can use the track-copy function and copy the controller 11 to all tracks. Then change in the tracks the MIDI-Channels (1 to1, 2 to 2 and so on). Thats it!
I actually did this and it is pain in the ass! The Destination Measure is initially configured at the END, so I have to dial all the way up to 1! (There's about 300 measures) and I cannot configure Destination Track to All Track unless the SRC Track is in All track! that means I have to configure Copy all over again, track by track and this is hell of an annoying
Candy

Post by Candy »

Someone told a trick, that the song not jumps back to 1.0.0.0, when you edited, but I´ve forgotten, how this was. Perhaps someone can help...
I read it here in the forum or in the Facebook-Group "Roland FA-06 & FA-08", I don´t remember. When I find it, I will tell you

Candy
PugFace

Post by PugFace »

To stop the current measure going back to the beginning after a track modify, then press loop on and then go in to record again but don't record anything if you don't need to. Note this goes back to the loop start point which if you are using looping will get you back to at least being close.

On the subject of fading out. I think its possible to (but i have not tried it as i use a remote midi controller for this). Set the studio set to all tracks needed for fading to 'keyboard on'. then go in to record midi controller 'expression' starting at 127 at the point of fade. the snag with this is it leaves you with all keyboards on in tracks after, so re-playing the fa will need these tracks keyboard off as appropriate. however this can be done quickly be re-instating the studio set by switching it to the next studio set and back again.