IFX?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
stevel

IFX?

Post by stevel »

What the heck is IFX?

Ok, I hate that Roland made it so you can't turn the MFX on or off on a single patch without saving it in one or the other state. I'd love to have an EP with a trem or chorus I could turn on and off with the S1 button. But you can't assign MFX ot the buttons. How idiotic.

So the only way to do that is with TFX and that you *can* assign to the button - but it affects ALL 16 PARTS so as far as I can tell, if you want to do a split with Delay on the top half and not on the bottom half, you have to do it with MFX that you can't turn on and off. I might, for example, want a rhythm instrument on the lower half, and a lead instrument without delay on the upper half, but turn the delay on on the upper part for the middle of the song.

You can't do this on the FA as far as I can tell. Only with external MIDI sysex messages.

So what's the IFX? The routing lines in the effects edit screen aren't so easy to follow.

You can change the Master Comp to IFX and this puts another set of effects somewhere in line.

I assume this is an "insert effect".

In theory, an insert effect should only happen on one channel, and thus one part. So unlike TFX which affects all parts, IFX should only affect the selected part.

But, it can't be turned on and off with the S1 button either. Maddening.

And what's the routing of all this stuff? OK, I just checked and it makes a little more sense because the Pads can go pre-Comp-EG-TFX or post all that.

When you choose IFX it simply negates the Comp and it looks like it just routes the Part from the MFX to the IFX.

So basically, it seems like the IFX/Comp switch just allows you to put a "2nd effect pedal" after the MFX but you no longer have compression on the main output (which is OK by me).

If you switch the TFX to the audio input only, the signal is only going through MFX and IFX and Chorus and Reverb sends, then on to the main outputs (assuming master EX off).

But the IFX seems to be little more than a 2nd MFX in that case (though maybe with different FX available).

Am I wrong?
stevel

Re: IFX?

Post by stevel »

I'm gonna bump this one too. New year, new users, maybe some answers :-)
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Hi stevel,
I think you are right. Last year and this year ;-)
Cheers,
BennySeven
stevel

Post by stevel »

Was just playing with it and I see what it does - it does in fact put a Insert Effect in the path from the Part to its output just like you'd expect (it toggles with Master Compressor).

Still, there's no IFX assign to S1/S2, only TFX.

I think I could send either MFX or IFX messages as Sysex messages.

I should have just bought an Integra 7 and used my A 800 with it! (but I was using that to control an old Sound Canvas at the time).

I'm not playing live anymore so it's not a big deal.

But I'm still saying this is the biggest blunder in history (beside keys that aren't properly sized) because guess what, there's not even a Rotary in TFX so you couldn't even use the TFX button to turn an effect on and off.

Maybe I'll try to figure out the SysEx message and do it through my DAW.

What I really need to do is hook up the A 800 as DAW control, and use it to play the sounds out of the Sound Canvas and FA which I think I can do. Just a lot of trouble to hook up and then if I go back to playing live, a complete reversal again...