Best Velocity Curves for Piano?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
stevel

Best Velocity Curves for Piano?

Post by stevel »

TItle says it all.

I have an A800 which has the same style keys as the FA06. But the default velocity curves on the two keyboards are different.

This cause me a problem at first as I could seem to balance out the sounds between the two boards (and yes, I had already compensated as much as possible for the way outta balance sounds!).

But when I put the same Piano sound on each board I realized the curves were different. All the pianos in the FA were too quiet by default - but they were loud and clangy - enough to cut through a band mix - on the A800.

So I adjusted the velocity curve on the FA to be as close to the A800 as possible. They're not identical, because I couldn't find the same curve on each and I didn't want either one of them to be at the extreme.

But I'd be interested in what the better piano player types feel is a good velocity setting on the FA to get is "as piano-like" and as "FA 08 -like" as possible.

Also, while am at it, which piano sound do you prefer for "most natural sounding" piano (I know when you want a piano to cut through the stage mix it's not necessarily going to be what sounds like a Steinway in a concert hall).
mangepange

Re: Best Velocity Curves for Piano?

Post by mangepange »

I connect my Roland FP-5 to my FA-06 and it's a perfect match for me when playing weighted keys. For me it's a no go to play piano without weighted keys. :-)

I played the piano on FA-06 one day without turning on my FP-5 and I was sure some effect settings were wrong until I turned on and played through my FP-5. It either gets too soft or hard for me with FA-06 keys.

I don't dislike the keys on the FA-06. But I just can't play expressive piano without weighted keys and I can't play expressive synth sounds/leads without synth keys!

So why not look into a weighted MIDI keyboard? Maybe Roland A88?
stevel

Re: Best Velocity Curves for Piano?

Post by stevel »

I'm bumping my old thread for visibility.

Buying another controller is out of the question. My FA was basically some "found money" and a once-in-a-two-decade" event.

So I'm going to use the internal keybed of the FA 06 primarily, so seeing if anyone has found a "better" setting for Piano (and other keyboard instruments).