New Juno-DS61, just a cheaper FA?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
mangepange

New Juno-DS61, just a cheaper FA?

Post by mangepange »

The new Junos have a lower price then the FA. But I wonder about this info about DS61:

"Wave Expansion Slot for Adding New Sounds
To complement its impressive onboard sound set, the JUNO-DS61 supports internal waveform expansion via USB for unlimited tonal range. Over 1000 EXP sounds are available for free download at Roland’s Axial website, including top-quality acoustic piano collections, world instruments, go-to studio standards, percussion, loops, and more.
If don’t find what you need there, it’s even possible to load in WAV files from your personal library and play them from the keyboard! Out of the box, the JUNO-DS61 comes with the versatile EXP-06 Studio Collection preloaded in the wave expansion slot."

So it has one expansion instead of FA two?
But it's possible to load in WAV files from your personal library and play? Is that like when we can play all 64 samples on each key or does DS61 have a more integrated option to use sample import in the synth engine?
specialplant

Re: New Juno-DS61, just a cheaper FA?

Post by specialplant »

If you look at the features of Roland's new arranger E-A7, it can use the WAV samples for the synth engine and also accepts multisamples, so I guess it will be the same with the new Juno.
mangepange

Post by mangepange »

specialplant wrote:If you look at the features of Roland's new arranger E-A7, it can use the WAV samples for the synth engine and also accepts multisamples, so I guess it will be the same with the new Juno.
Yes, the specs for E-A7:

"Format 16-bit linear, 44.1 kHz, WAV
128 MB for Sampling/Sample Import
Number of Samples 512
Multisample Function Yes
* Samples and multisamples can be exported to USB Flash Memory as User Tone or User Drum Kit.
* Samples and multisamples can be used as wave data for the sound engine
"

But this text is not on the spec for DS61.

Well, this would have been cool on the FA 06/08. But probably not possible. The only possible way would be to release the SRX expansion cards specs for other manufacturers to make. A win-win for everyone! Likely to happen, no! :-)
microwerx

Post by microwerx »

It doesn't look to me that it's like the FA. For one, there's no Supernatural synth engine. It's basically the normal Roland digital synthesis engine with the ability to load expansions.

I don't interpret the WAV capability as anything besides assigning it to a pad (which are mapped to the keyboard) and playing it back. I don't think it's stretching or warping it in any way.