All synth sounds have an echo

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Dnomaid

Re: All synth sounds have an echo

Post by Dnomaid »

I just tried that same SN-S tone (0822) in several different existing studio sets that I made awhile ago.

The MFX always comes up as MOD DELAY (as it's saved with the tone), but the Chorus and Reverb types and related send levels change as they're saved with the Studio Set you are currently using. Different Studio Sets will change the Chorus and Reverb settings.

Is this what you're experiencing? If so, it's not a bug.

All tones exist within a Studio Set. That's very important to remember. If you're just selecting single tones, you're still operating within a Studio Set. The screen only shows the first Studio set part if you're selecting single tones. Dual mode will show you parts 1 and 2 of the Studio Set. If you change the Studio Set at some point, and then continue to select single tones when not in Studio Set mode, the Reverb and Chorus settings will change to whatever was saved in the particular Studio Set that is currently called up....and there's always a Studio Set active regardless. Just press the two buttons to turn on Studio Set mode.

The whole concept of the FA is based on working within Studio Sets. Using the pads to seamlessly switch between 16 different parts, layers, etc. is the optimal way to use the FA. With all the additional parameters that you can adjust for each tone, (using Part View) you'll get the most bang for your buck out of it.
Rolandski

Post by Rolandski »

I recently got this problem just ahead of a gig, and found this thread. Still, I don't quite get what is going on here.

Specifically, this is what happened:

1. I had completely designed the sounds (Studio Sets) for a 3x45minute cover gig, and loaded them in order as Favourites.

2. During sound check, I used the live knobs to tweak a lead synth sound a bit, as I was planning to do in the gig.

3. Then, maybe I did some other little change to the Studio Set, but never went into menus. Perhaps I swapped a piano for another. Then I saved it.

The result:

1. All lead synths in all studio sets suddely have a terrible long reverb/echo. Unusable.

2. All electric pianos sound very low, distant, barely audible at all. Unusable.

3. Possibly other issues as well, I had to toss the instrument to the side and use my spare synth and do the best I could with switching sounds on the go. It was a nightmare, and I have not yet gone back to it, in disgust that my favourite tool let me down like that.

I will have to abandon the FA and go for a MODX instead, unless I can figure out what happened there in order to avoid it in the future. What could I have done wrong?

Is it possible that tweaking the knobs live actually changes some in-sound settings when you save a studio set, and then not only are stored into one Studio Set but somehow multiplied via some matrix into others as well? Using the knobs for live sound modification and effect should, in my opinion, never alter the sound or the Studio Set that is stored, only what you do in the menus. Not to mention somehow spreading to whole families of sounds across many studio sets.
thus

Post by thus »

Sorry this happened to you. I can only imagine how stressful that was.

I can only guess what happened based on how I know the FA works. You describe turning knobs and then saving. If you tweaked a knob that changed the effect (MFX) settings of the synth lead tone, and then saved the tone, your action would change how that synth lead sounds everywhere across all Studio Sets that use it. The same is true of your electric piano sound.

That’s the only theory I can come up with.