All synth sounds have an echo

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
RolandMcDoland

All synth sounds have an echo

Post by RolandMcDoland »

I just got my fa-08. I was playing around with knobs, and thought I got the hang of it, but nearly all sounds now have a fading echo at the end. I can't figure out what is causing this. The modifier knobs I have played with like reverb and chorus, and this does nothing. I'm not sure what I did.

ITs like a BEEP!...... beep... beep..bep. WOOOP.....woop.... woop......woop.

If I cycle though different syth sounds, or even piano will do it, there is still an echo. I'm wondering if there is a Clean slate, reset someplace.

Any help? Thanks
rikismyname

Re: All synth sounds have an echo

Post by rikismyname »

I had this once I have no idea what caused it but as I didn't save anything I just turned it off and on again and all was fine.

Have a look in effects edit or something
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

The (accidently) selected TFX effect will remain all the time unless you set it to THRU (turning the knob to full left position).
If you switch the FA off and on, this will be done upon startup automatically.
RolandMcDoland

Post by RolandMcDoland »

OK thanks. I'll give that a try
cecchino

Post by cecchino »

"Roland McDoland"?
Genius... :)
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

cecchino wrote:"Roland McDoland"?
Genius... :)
It made me chuckle :)
RolandMcDoland

Post by RolandMcDoland »

Haha, nice.

So The solution above wasn't the same echoing. But I found out where it is. I think its default, built into the Synth sounds. I found the cause, its when you hold shift down, and do a Tone edit, or Studio edit. I forget which one. Second option from the top of the menu when holding shift while looking at your music style.

Anyway, once editing the sound, the top left box is called MFX, or something like that. You can cycle through a whole bunch of effects, and the one by default is an after echo effect. Slamming a key down makes it go.

DING... ding......ding....... ding.........ding.

The MFX branches to 2 sub boxes that have chorus, and reverb in them. Changing those really has no effect on the overall echo I kept hearing.

If I find a different MFX, it just goes

DING !

But I'm not sure if I can completely disable any echoing, for all sounds. I need to learn the fa-08 more.

I'm not in front of my Fa08, so I hope I came close to describing this and not confusing.
cda

Post by cda »

MFX are individual to each tone. If you turn it off or change it you need to write the tone to a user location and use that.

Chorus and reverb: turn them up in the mixer of the studio set and then change them. Chorus and reverb are saved as part of the studio set.
pkskyKeys

Post by pkskyKeys »

It is February 7th 2022 as I type this and I am having the same problem. All of a sudden all of my synths have an echo.

Tech support at Roland is no help. They tell me the same thing about the MFX setting, but this does not change the defaults for all the synths. A factory reset does not change it either.
Dnomaid

Post by Dnomaid »

cda wrote: 13:39, 20 October 2015 MFX are individual to each tone. If you turn it off or change it you need to write the tone to a user location and use that.

Chorus and reverb: turn them up in the mixer of the studio set and then change them. Chorus and reverb are saved as part of the studio set.
This. ^^^^ Just change the MFX to something else or turn it off...and then SAVE the tone.
pkskyKeys

Post by pkskyKeys »

Dnomaid wrote: 10:04, 9 February 2022 This. ^^^^ Just change the MFX to something else or turn it off...and then SAVE the tone.
I think you missed the whole motive of the original post. An honest mistake.

My complaint, and I think the complaint of the original poster was that all the synths had the same echo effect. This is really kind of irritating. Sure, you can edit any one of them and remove the echo (a delay in MFX), but you are still left with far too many that are set with the same echo. The fact that so many had the echo applied left me with the impression that somehow, some glitch had applied the echo to all the synth presets.

But this is not true. There are some preset synths that do not use the echo, 0837:Mean Thing, for example has the MFX set to 00:Thru. But to my taste, far too many of the presets use the echo.

Thank you for responding to this thread.
tchelomgf

Post by tchelomgf »

Could you put pictures from your Effects Screen and settings here?
pkskyKeys

Post by pkskyKeys »

I had no notifications for this topic. But I came back to report that just as mysteriously, the reported problem had gone away.

I was learning to browse different tones from the favorites array that is preset. I chose "Synth/Pad", clicked twice to bring up the Saw Leads. From there I scrolled to number to 0822. Before I posted this, the problem had gone away, but now it is back again. Not only is the delay in effect, but I am also getting a pan effect that oscillates with the delay. It's very irritating, especially since it appeared to go away all by itself and then come back again.
20220222_114118[1].jpg
20220222_114118[1].jpg (3.76 MiB) Viewed 3986 times
Maybe I should mention, I have also tried installing the techelosoft FA Editor and have booted it up once or twice.
blisst

Post by blisst »

I have this same issue. All of a sudden, many if not most of the Synth Lead sounds have a Mod Delay MFX on them.
blisst

Post by blisst »

Not only that, but my Electric Pianos suddenly have some kind of reverb effect or something that makes them sound very distant.

This was completely out of nowhere, I hadn't changed any settings. I pretty much use the default patches so there is no way this is anything but a glitch in the software.