Most Suitable DAW for FA-06?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
MICHAEL

Most Suitable DAW for FA-06?

Post by MICHAEL »

Hi All

I’ve just purchased the FA-06 and, being a total noob, I’m definitely going to be a frequent “nuisance” on this forum ;-) picking your brains about various aspects of using my new “monster” :-) ...so be gentle with me as some of my questions may appear downright moronic to experienced 06 users.

My first question is about the best DAW software you can recommend.

By best I don’t necessarily mean best on the market, but rather best for FA-06.

What I essentially want to use my 06 for is multi-track studio-style compositions where I can quickly record and edit individual tracks on the go. I know I can use the 06 sequencer (which I will test) but I was thinking to do the same on DAW. I’m also hoping the DAW you recommend is capable of studio-like mastering.

Once again, I know 06 can do all that to a certain degree, I’m just looking for that extra room/capability to serve me as an on-the-fly recording/mastering tool.

So, to wrap up, is there a DAW you FA wizards tested and can certify is particularly compatible with 06?

I will greatly appreciate your feedback, peeps.

Thanks.
cello

Re: Most Suitable DAW for FA-06?

Post by cello »

Welcome to the Clan :)

I would suggest any of the DAWs for which there is already a profile loaded into the FA (Logic Pro, SONAR, Cubase). Have to say I don't use DAWs but on the FA Facebook page I run, I read of the great plug and playability of those profiles (control maps).
MICHAEL

Post by MICHAEL »

cello wrote:Welcome to the Clan :)

I would suggest any of the DAWs for which there is already a profile loaded into the FA (Logic Pro, SONAR, Cubase). Have to say I don't use DAWs but on the FA Facebook page I run, I read of the great plug and playability of those profiles (control maps).
Thanks for the welcome :-)

I’m thinking Cubase...out of the three profiles.

What I’m looking for is solid and reliable integration/performance as well as ease of use.

Having said that, I’m already familiar with Adobe Audition. Anyone out there using it as FA-06 DAW?
Greg Midi

Post by Greg Midi »

Of the three the FA "supports" I've used Logic and Sonar. I used Sonar (Cakewalk) going back to the MS DOS days but several years ago I switched to using MacBook Pros for live gigs and at that point I switched to Digital Performer and also used Logic Pro 8 & 9. I've also tried Cubase LE that came with hardware I'd bought but didn't see any compelling reason to switch to it. The full on version of Cubase requires a dongle which, although I have one, I consider to be a pain in the ass.

So as a Mac guy I definitely prefer Logic but if you're PC you can't go wrong with Sonar, it's a great program with a lot of features and history.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

I've used the FA-06 with USB straight into a win7 laptop running Cubase (normally I go through a USB mixer with a few other synths), no issues at all. Good clear signal, and the DAW control Roland put on the FA covers the basic, common buttons in Cubase pretty well. On a related note, I did try connecting the FA to Reaper, but for some reason the FA drivers kept crashing the software, don't know if anyone else had this problem. But on Cubase 7, no problems whatsoever.
Quick tip, for a decent, free mastering plugin for Cubase try T-West Productions Compeq. Mastering Comp/Limiter & EQ, pretty good for a freebie!