FA-08 vs Juno-DS88

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
bill555

Re: FA-08 vs Juno-DS88

Post by bill555 »

Hermax wrote:That all depends of what you call "a song".
For me, it is still an old fashioned structure like intro, verse, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, chorus, outro. (of course other combinations are possible).
That is something that is not "nice" to program into the pattern sequencer of the DS. It is possible, yes, but harder to do than with a "normal" linear sequencer.
For people who consider a song like loops that come up and disappear, it's less hard to do :-)
My bad, I had a misunderstanding of pattern vs linear. For me a pattern sequencer would be borderline worthless. :( The Korg Kross also doesn't have a linear one. Looks like if I want a "real" sequencer, I'd need the FA-08.
anotherscott

Re: FA-08 vs Juno-DS88

Post by anotherscott »

bill555 wrote:The Korg Kross also doesn't have a linear one. Looks like if I want a "real" sequencer, I'd need the FA-08.
I'm curious if someone can elaborate, how are the Kross and FA sequencers different?

And as long as I'm here...
Español wrote:The DS88 has absolutely no advantage over the FA.
Here's are ten DS benefits that the FA does not have...

* ability to load custom samples as full keyboard-playable instruments
* vocal processor (i.e. pitch correction)
* ability to change performances (equivalent of FA's Studio Sets) without your previous sound cutting out
* ability to put 2 or 3 insert (MFX) effects on a single sound (but you cannot put MFX on 16 sounds at once like you can on the FA... 3 is the max if you assign one MFX to each. Effects on 16 channels is more important for sequencing than live performance, so it's a difference that makes sense since the FA has the 16 part sequencer and the DS doesn't.)
* when playing live with a 2-way split, you can easily adjust the volumes and octaves of each part on the fly with the front panel sliders and octave buttons (it's great to be able to quickly switch the octave of your RH sound when playing LH bass, for example... can't do that on the FA)
* the numeric keypad function repurposes the Favorites/Selection buttons (instead of the pads), so it doesn't get in the way of your using the pads for other purposes. And on the DS, as soon as you finish entering a number, the buttons revert to their previous function, whereas on the FA, once you use the pads for numbers, you have to use a multi-button sequence to manually switch out to get back to your normal pad function. So overall, the numeric entry just works more smoothly.
* Someone may find the DS basic sound set preferable. Apart from the SuperNatural sounds, the FA sounds are from the XV-5080, while the Juno DS sounds are newer (Fantom and up). Plus axial even gives DS owners a way to add the FA's XV-5080 sounds if you need them, but you can't add the DS/Fantom sounds to the FA.
* DS has a pattern sequencer (of course FA has its own sequencers, but each is better for different things)
* Roland has a Mac/PC editor/librarian for DS
* DS has a front panel MFX control

Of course, the FA has a whole bunch of advantages over the DS as well.