Turning off the MFX?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
stevel

Turning off the MFX?

Post by stevel »

Is there a way to do this?

I hate that every single sound has some effect on it - for example, things like the Saw Leads all have a different delay on it (with different rate, feedback, etc.).

So if I call up say, 0812, Saw Lead 1, it has delay on it.

I just want to turn off the delay.

It seems like the only way to do this is go into the edit menus (a couple of pages deep) and deselect the MFX green button (or change the effect to Thru, etc.).

It also appears the only way to keep the delay off it is to waste a user slot - so basically I'm stuck with filling all my user slots with exact copies of all the sounds in the keyboard without the effect on.

Let's say you had something like Vibraphone.

How would I have a Vibrophone with the vibe off, then push something to turn it on. I'd like to push a button to turn on the vibrato effect and turn a knob to control the rate.

I have the EX02 expansion pack, and it has a sound called Vibraphone! that has a nice tremolo on it. It's clear that the MFX is on and it's set to Tremolo.

But there's no way I can see to either turn the Tremolo off or change the rate. It's simply like MFX isn't accessible in any way.

Now, what I can do is, turn off the Tremolo MFX, and then select the Tremolo/Pan TFX and go in and edit the thing so it's on Trem rather than Pan (because Pan is of course the default state).

Now I can assign S1 to turn the effect on and off an by default the TFX Contol (Knob 6) will control the rate (assuming of course you haven't forgotten to move the cursor in the matrix...)

So I could now save this as a studio set.

The problem? Now Tremolo is on EVERY STUPID PART. So, for example, if I wanted to have an Upright Bass in the lower half on a Split, and the upper half on Vibes - BUT be able to turn the Trem on and off on the vibes it's impossible. You turn on the Trem with S1 and it affects the Vibes and the Bass - because T is "total" I guess and it affects everything in that Studio Set.

So the only solution I could see is having maybe two studio sets, set up identically, one with the MFX (or TFX - it doesn't really matter for this solution) set so the vibe on one has the trem on , and the other has it off, and toggle between the two.

What am I missing (if anything)?
cda

Re: Turning off the MFX?

Post by cda »

As far as I am aware, there is no way to do what you want, and your solution is the only way to achieve it. It would be good, however, to be told I am wrong!

C.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

On the vibra TONE, did you try to assign S1 to MFX SWITCH ?
So you can switch on/off the MFX for that part.

Tfx is not a proper solution because it is only for total effects in a mixer setup.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Yeah, you can't do that Benny - at least nowhere that I can see.

For example, you can set TFX to respond to switch 1.

MFX has only "Control 1" through "Control 4" - I'm not really sure what those do though, and S1 and S2 are not options - only CC numbers.

I did find out that some of the Supernatural Acoustic sounds have something built in that a CC# can change, so for example, on the Dynamic Strings preset, S1 will change it to Staccato and S2 will change it to Pizzicato (because those two are set to CC80 and 81 and those are the CC#s that change those effects).

Most of the sounds are not SN-A though, so there's no way to get to the FX. It's the most ignorant design ever.

I would have to figure out the sysex code to send a message remotely from a controller keyboard to turn the effect on and off, or save two versions of the sound - one with the effect on and one with it off, and store them in such a way that I can toggle between them.

I need a little assignable footswitch I can make send the sysex message!
thedecider

Post by thedecider »

Stevel:
"So if I call up say, 0812, Saw Lead 1, it has delay on it.

I just want to turn off the delay.

It seems like the only way to do this is go into the edit menus (a couple of pages deep) and deselect the MFX green button (or change the effect to Thru, etc.)."

//

I'm having this same realization on my brand new FA-08. I can't believe we'd have to waste a user slot just to be able to turn off FX permanently on a tone that we are adding to a Studio Set. I have the Juno-Gi and when I make a split/multi-part it will save whatever parameters are edited for the new patch (i.e. turn off MFX, adjust envelope ADSR, etc.).

I bought this as an upgrade to the JUNO-Gi seeing that I could create complex Studio Sets that range all 88 keys (up from the 61-key), with easy access to control many parts over one keybed (basically I bought in the hopes that I wouldn't have SO MANY patch changes during performance).

This really needs to be addressed by Roland. This might be a deal breaker for me in the next week or so. It may be worth sending it back to SweetWater. Not even kidding. I really don't want to, because I love the instrument otherwise.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Thanks in advance!
konaboy

Post by konaboy »

i ran into this problem, i wanted an organ split (lower/upper) manual, WITHOUT the rotary leslie sim. I was frustrated that I had so create and store 2 new voices first without the effect, then create a new studio set with the split. 3 storages one a simple split!
ayryq

Post by ayryq »

It's pretty easy to save those user patches, just a couple keypresses (IF you don't give it a name). And that's the problem: I've created dozens of patches, different in only a single aspect (no effects, or different EQ, or what really annoys me, different control setup FOR the effects), but they're all called "INIT TONE" and some of them are already probably duplicates because I don't remember why I made them or which studio set they go with. Arghh.
thedecider

Post by thedecider »

Exactly. I have contacted my Sweetwater rep and he is directly contacting their Roland rep. Hopefully we'll hear some good news soon!
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Hello ayriq,
but they're all called "INIT TONE"
I don't understand how you you did this. If I modify a TONE and then press WRITE, it'll take over the NAME and offer the choice to rename it.
You can save up to thousand user tones. If you want to use them later on, just select the USR group and all presets are filtered.

hello thedecider,
Hopefully we'll hear some good news
what are you expecting in response of the Roland rep.?

This MXF thing is part of the system architecture, and as a former FANTOM user I must say, that THIS is what we all WANTED for years from the Rolands! Look about the confusion and frustration in the FANTOM forum.
What should Roland do ? They fixed it. And now?

So, from my point of view this is what I want to have: TONEs bring in their MFX into the Studio Set.
Costs me a few klicks and a user slot to go on with my work.

just my 2 ct
ayryq

Post by ayryq »

bennyseven wrote:Hello ayriq,
I don't understand how you you did this. If I modify a TONE and then press WRITE, it'll take over the NAME and offer the choice to rename it.
You're right. They share the name with their parent tones. My mistake.
thedecider

Post by thedecider »

@ bennyseven,

Yeah, there is no workaround, but that's okay. I had JUST gotten the FA08, and didn't realize how easy it was to quickly hit/uncheck the MFX switch and hit Write. With something like 1,000 user slots, I won't soon be running out of room!
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

There is a solution - Create a song that has the start of each track sending MFX off message*, Save the song as 'MFX Off' - or whatever you want, so you know it's purpose.

Then, You can then load up this song, then pick your studio set preset within the sequencer view, press play and it will clear all MFX's from the studio set - and you're good to go.

* To do this quickly:
1. Load init song to make sure all is clear.
2. Back out to studio set
3. Go to Tone Edit for Part 1 (You can use the pads in 'Part select mode' to quickly select parts).
4. Open up the MFX Tab, so you have the 'MFX Sw' button in view.
5. Press |< button to make sure you're at start of song sequence
6. Press Record button.
7. Press 'Start' to begin recording (Button 7)
8. Then press Close Button (Button 7 Again) - which allows you to use the tone edit controls during record.
9. Simply turn off MFX Switch once the precount is done to place the MFX Off at the start of the song.
10. Repeat Steps 3-9 for all other tracks (Using the Pad Utilty/Part Select option makes this super easy).

11. Save song.

Note: Transmit Edit Data may need to be enabled in settings for this to work, not tried it with it disabled.
stevel

Post by stevel »

thedecider wrote:Exactly. I have contacted my Sweetwater rep and he is directly contacting their Roland rep. Hopefully we'll hear some good news soon!
FWIW, I contacted Roland and asked and they confirmed there's no way to do this.

Had I known this in advance, I wouldn't have bought the keyboard.

It's funny someone mentioned that the Fantom people wanted it this way.

I guess they're not playing live with a keyboard designed to play live, and we're all trying to play live with a keyboard designed for a DAW.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

yes. That funny one was me. One of the most discussed things in my Fantom time X was the limited MFX instances for all of the parts. People called for one MFX per part.
Roland made one MFX per TONE out of this, and they forgot to implement the MFX SWITCH as controller destination.
So now, each MFX is part of a Tone (and we have to use new user slots when changing and writing MFX), and we can not turn on/off MFX whithin the studio set, because it is not part of the studio set.
Now, it is time to restart the thread about system firmware updates.
stevel

Post by stevel »

bennyseven wrote:yes. That funny one was me. One of the most discussed things in my Fantom time X was the limited MFX instances for all of the parts. People called for one MFX per part.
Roland made one MFX per TONE out of this, and they forgot to implement the MFX SWITCH as controller destination.
So now, each MFX is part of a Tone (and we have to use new user slots when changing and writing MFX), and we can not turn on/off MFX whithin the studio set, because it is not part of the studio set.
Now, it is time to restart the thread about system firmware updates.
I'm not going to hold my breath about firmware updates where Roland actually takes advice from its users and implements them. Nor, as per the other thread, an editor.

I'm sure they're already well on to the next thing.

FWIW, i do believe there is a Sysex message for the MFX switch, so you could probably turn it on and off remotely from another controller.

But still, it's really stupid to be able to assign every other parameter to a button, but not this one!