New owner, Rush Sounds help!

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Lockwood124

New owner, Rush Sounds help!

Post by Lockwood124 »

I recently got a gig playing for a rush tribute band, I thought the FA06 would be a good keyboard to get. I am new to this and I was wondering if anyone has any sound samples that would work for a few songs. Right now we are playing limelight, subdivisions and Tom Sawyer. The rest are their older work for now. I really would love to get as close as I can to the sounds odd their last two tours.

I have had a lot of fun trying to figure the keyboard out!
PugFace

Re: New owner, Rush Sounds help!

Post by PugFace »

I also tried to find the wonderful Tom Sawyer sweeping Resonant filter sound in the FA presets and alas never found anything but there is a lot of presets to trawl through!. So gave up. It may be best to make your own sound using the SN-S engine synth. The FA synth engine is more than capable of emulating the fat filter needed. It may be possible to take one of the presets that's close and modify it to the sound required using the control pots then save the edit as part of a studio set. You would need to select the track part to mono in part settings if the preset used is a poly one. Turn up the compressor too if you want it to come through above those crashing guitars and to void sounding weedy. I guess anything Rush could never be called weedy.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Late to the party alert..

I've recently added Subdivisions to my FA-06 arsenal, and will be adding it to the Studio Sets I've been posting. Here are my two cents for the non-lead parts of this song.
Studio Set wiith two parts mapped across the full range
note: There are a lot of FA sounds that can stand in for the Lead. A couple of ideas: 0864: Cutting Lead or any of several Saw leads.

- Part 1: (SYN) Synth Brass 0329: Power SynBrs Octave -1 Fine 0
- Part 2: (SYN) Synth Pad/Str 0025: OB Strings 1 Octave -1 Fine -5
Balance these to suit.. and it is very close to Geddy Lee's OB-X

Like I said, I'll add this to the handful of additions I've stacked up for the next round of 80's FA sounds..

Joe
Lockwood124 wrote:I recently got a gig playing for a rush tribute band, I thought the FA06 would be a good keyboard to get. I am new to this and I was wondering if anyone has any sound samples that would work for a few songs. Right now we are playing limelight, subdivisions and Tom Sawyer. The rest are their older work for now. I really would love to get as close as I can to the sounds odd their last two tours.

I have had a lot of fun trying to figure the keyboard out!
Carljl

Post by Carljl »

Hello,

I am pressed for time...will get Roland FA-06 Feb 22 and we have 1st gig Feb23.......our Triton took a dump

I need patches for ---I am afraid 1 day will not be enough time to get these going unless we can just download these....thanks for any and all help

Xanadu
Trees
Tom Sawyer
Subdivisions
New World Man
Limelight
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Closer to the Heart( bells)
Carljl

Post by Carljl »

Could I get RUSH patches from you. We are BLAH, the Rush tribute band from San Antonio,TX. Korg Triton took a dump and 1st gig is feb 23....get Roland FA06 Feb 22

Carl
210-279-26912
stevel

Post by stevel »

Carljl wrote:
Xanadu
Trees
Tom Sawyer
Subdivisions
New World Man
Limelight
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Closer to the Heart( bells)
Try these as a starting point:

Subdivisions: 263 JP Brass 5; 306, Syn Brass 12; 299 Syn Brass 5; 361 Poly Syn 7; 364 Poly Syn 10 (has delay) - a few others but that should get you started.

Xanadu: 846 Saw Lead 35 (has delay and a bit of flange/phase) but otherwise is pretty darn near ESL sound.

In that same category, Saw Lead 1, then 857 Saw Ld 1, 2, and 3 are all good. A couple others in that whole category are also close - almost all the leads have varying degrees of delay on them, but they're all monophonic and have varying degrees of portamento - so it's a matter of picking the one that has all of the qualities you want. You'll have to save another version of the one you like without the delay on it.

Tom Sawyer will be a pain. I found something that had a downward sweep, and modified it and got it close enough. It was hard to find even one suitable starting point. Sorry I didn't keep the patch. I've not got a VST that has it, and I think if I ever play the song again I'll sample the notes to the Pads!

Try these: 350 Poly Key 1; 475 JP 8 Patch F2; 0744 Filter Morph (great sweep, but goes back up after a while, but could be used).

The last one sounds the most like the one I used - but I also downloaded the Synth Legends Pure sound set and it may have been one of those.

It's not hard to do, but you need to be prepared to copy the files to the SD card (or USB forget which - read up on it) but there are a couple more possibilities:

SLP JP6 14 (downward sweep that bottoms out like it should, but fast)
SLP JP6 8 has a mad sweep but you might be able to layer it with another sound and get what you need.

Expansion Pack 02, which can also be loaded in (the other method than the SLP pack IIRC) has a few too, I'll list. This is the vintage keys collection. Check it out on the axial site.

EX 02 CS Squared (nice, prominent, slow sweep that bottoms out) - under Synth/PolyKey category
EX 02 Speedometer (nice prominent sweep, maybe a bit slow)
Ex 02 P5 Lead (which is not a 5ths patch, has a decent sweep, but pretty far from the original)

That EX 02 CS Squared is probably the absolute closest on all parameters - some have better sweeps, some have better tones they're based on, but that one seems to get the best of all possible worlds. Plus the bottom of the sweep has that nice overtone series sound like you hear in the original.

Whichever one I used, I had to edit a bit - so given you'll be in a tight spot you may just have to pick the best of these and go with it.

As for the others, close enough will be close enough - they're mostly just straight ahead monophonic lead synth sounds so you should be able to find something that works. The choir patch on Subdivisions might take a while, and I don't have any suggestions for that as our other keyboard player played it (he also did a lot of those lead lines).

One thing I found a lack of is any good reso synths that sweep over time - there are a few, but none of them sweep the way I want them to.

For CTtH, I also had installed the EX10 Orchestra expansion pack which includes some nice tubular bells. There's a great Tubular Bells (537) but you'll have to pull the delay off (who puts a delay on tubular bells?). In a pinch, the GM Tubular Bells would be fine! The ONLY Glock is the GM one. EX 10 has a couple more.

There are synth bass sounds, and there are a handful that are close to New World Man's intro - however, none of them have the right amount of click on the note and reso "gargle" and there might be other patches in the other synth sections that would work.

I'd say maybe the closest are 717 Reso Bass 12, and 13, maybe 19, 21.
Carljl

Post by Carljl »

Thanks....i will try these to start
Carljl

Post by Carljl »

Thanks......i am scrolling through your suggestions....i am digging them......i will download the vintage keyboard expansion sounds bc i feel my korg triton is still closer to Ruth's patches.

I am really digging the Subdivisions patch

For New Word Man I am using 086 synth bass 101 down an octave......

Let me know what you get for Tom sawyer
Carljl

Post by Carljl »

I wrote a Tom Sawyer intro sound patch that sounds almost identical to the recording.....im going to backup sounds once i figure how to do that......if you want the patch ,im willing to share.

Also figured out how to write my own arpeggiator pattern ,so i can share the Vital Signs intro .

Carl
Blah Rush tribute
San Antonio,TX
Carljl

Post by Carljl »

Does anybody have a patch for the Camera Eye
dupseb

Post by dupseb »

Carljl wrote:I wrote a Tom Sawyer intro sound patch that sounds almost identical to the recording.....im going to backup sounds once i figure how to do that......if you want the patch ,im willing to share.

Also figured out how to write my own arpeggiator pattern ,so i can share the Vital Signs intro .

Carl
Blah Rush tribute
San Antonio,TX
Hi Carl,

Would you accept to share this patch?
Have you found a patch for Subdivisions?
Thanks
Seb