Additional keyboard/synth for my fa-08

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
GephDavid

Additional keyboard/synth for my fa-08

Post by GephDavid »

Hi there, I recently bought an FA-08 and I need a another keyboard mainly for synth/strings/brass.
Also, I need a keyboard that I can play without my fa-08 (Incase i didn't bring it.)

And I'm torn between these two. Roland juno g and Korg x-50.

Any help would be appreciated.
PugFace

Re: Additional keyboard/synth for my fa-08

Post by PugFace »

I would recommend you go for a synth that sounds completely different to the FA series. As the FA does most synthesis models so having another pcm/sample synth will not add much variation. I have the Ms20mini and this is great for off the wall electronica and great for generating samples. Most digital synths struggle with resonance in filters and often sound awful when driven but analog filter synths add more timbre dynamics when resonance is driven up. The exception to this is probably the Access Virus which is as close to analog emulation as it gets. I am guessing that the new Aira synths are also good at this too which are a lot cheaper to buy. The new korg minilogue is about the same pricepoint as those synths you mentioned.

The roland FA is excellent at strings and brass in fact much better than the korg equivalents (I have a korg m50) so I put them side by side. The korg simply is not in the same league as the FA for both of those types of sound so I don't understand why you would want another synth for those sounds.
GephDavid

Post by GephDavid »

PugFace wrote:I would recommend you go for a synth that sounds completely different to the FA series. As the FA does most synthesis models so having another pcm/sample synth will not add much variation. I have the Ms20mini and this is great for off the wall electronica and great for generating samples. Most digital synths struggle with resonance in filters and often sound awful when driven but analog filter synths add more timbre dynamics when resonance is driven up. The exception to this is probably the Access Virus which is as close to analog emulation as it gets. I am guessing that the new Aira synths are also good at this too which are a lot cheaper to buy. The new korg minilogue is about the same pricepoint as those synths you mentioned.

The roland FA is excellent at strings and brass in fact much better than the korg equivalents (I have a korg m50) so I put them side by side. The korg simply is not in the same league as the FA for both of those types of sound so I don't understand why you would want another synth for those sounds.

Hi there, a big thanks for that! :D Uhm, I was just thinking getting either one because I don't have a car so I can't literally bring my fa-08 incase my bandmates can't fetch me. Or should I go for midi controllers? Looking for something that I can bring easily, quite durable and versatile. Honestly I'm still on the learning curves of my FA so I simply can't differ and what should I add just incase.
JPWC

Post by JPWC »

When I perform with bands (3 of them), first keyboard is always the FA06, then I pair it up with the Korg Krome or a Yamaha Motif XF. When doing solo performance (home or Live) I tend to use the Kronos. I trying now to add the JD-XA into the performance mix.

If there is enough room on stage, and my back is up to moving the equipment, my ideal setup: Roland FA06 & JD-XA along with the Motif XF and Korg Kronos, all 61 keys.

I have might substitute the kronos with a DSI P12 or Korg KingKorg, I have a Roland Jupiter 80, but its too big and heavy for most situation except at home.

I have a Clavia Nord Lead A1r which I highly recommend as a second keyboard, I really enjoy the sound module.
fa06roland

Post by fa06roland »

Playing live, in addition to my Roland FA-06, I take my Korg M3 76 key and for the synth side, use my Korg Krome 61, it can handle just about anything I need synth wise, it is lightweight, reasonably priced and easy to carry around in a gig bag. The Roland FA-06 does have better synths IMO with the Junos & Jupiters. You might consider the Krome 61 for it's ease of use and great sounds, it has a touch screen too, easy to choose from the menus. It does not have the Studio Sets mode like the Roland if you want to navigate stored sounds quickly while playing. I am retiring my Yamaha ES-7, it's just to heavy for me. I also considered buying a Kronos but its a more complex keyboard for much better musicians than me, I just gig with an older local cover band.

In addition to my stock factory set Krome sounds which came with the keyboard, I also contacted Dan Stesco @ Dan Stesco Products and bought his Vintage Synth Collection for $59US, he's a sound designer from Romania. There's more than enough to carry you through evening performances using his custom designed pads and extra synths once uploaded. Although I prefer the Roland synths, for a 2nd or backup 1st keyboard, the Krome does a nice job for me. I use the Korg M3 mostly for primary piano and EP, it is my primary unit, the FA-06 is on the 2nd level above the M3, SK2 Hammond on the other stand with my Korg Krome 61 on the 2nd level above the Hammond. I have 2 Quiklok stands in an L-shape for live setup.

Best of luck with whatever you choose, there's lots of choice out there, you might be able to pick up a used name brand analog synth in good shape off ebay or even check your local music store for used demo's.
Cheers !
Fleer

Post by Fleer »

No better strings and bass than your FA.
Even synths-wise, the FA rules.
As for real analog, go for that sweet new Korg Minilogue.
GephDavid

Post by GephDavid »

Nice! Thank you so much for your help guys! Now I have a better understanding what to add with my FA. Appreciate all your ideas. Cheers!