USB Audio + another interface

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
projectaspen

USB Audio + another interface

Post by projectaspen »

Hi,

I'd like to use the FA-08 audio over USB feature, question is, can I use this as an input channel in addition to my regular USB interface? Or I need to fully use the FA-08 audio interface when I enable USB audio?

Also, is the audio quality as good as the Analog (|TRS) output?

let me know please, as I havent purchased the synth yet and a digital output is important to me.

thanks
Lunar

Re: USB Audio + another interface

Post by Lunar »

Running multiple USB inputs/drivers is largely going to be down to your computer, interface and DAW software as far as I understand, but I'm not too sure on that. If you are talking about using a USB interface to record guitar and vocals on one channel, and FA08 on another at the same time, the FA does have a mic/line input so will act as an interface, plus you can route the TFX engine to the input signal and record the signal wet.

When I run my FA-06 direct over USB into Cubase 8 the audio quality is about as good as you can get. The FA does output audio over USB a little on the quiet side, but that's easily dealt with in the DAW after tracking. It's also a reasonably decent controller for VST's, one button press and it's set.

My advice, definitely go with the FA, it beats everything else in it's price range in my opinion.
projectaspen

Post by projectaspen »

I just would like to use the USB connection to transmit the FA-08 audio to my DAW, using my current interface and not FA-08's interface...for various reasons, including converters, inputs and proximity to my monitors...

I researched a bit and found no answers really, seems like perhaps using ASIO4ALL it could work (I disable FA-08 interface's outputs and enable inputs, then use my interface)... But seems glitchy and complicated... Crash prone.

If you wanna read into this, found it here:

https://www.ableton.com/answers/roland- ... -interface

Think of a Virus integration via USB, I know it has the VST, but people told me it can just "transmit" the sound to your system without you having to fully use its interface. I would like the Roland to do the same, but I'm afraid it might not be possible.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

I see what you mean, in theory you should be okay to do what you need. The FA transmits audio & MIDI at the same time over USB, but it appears to be mutually exclusive. I've run the FA and a Gaia audio at the same time over USB to an interface for live performance (from there into a sub-mixer), so the FA should transmit the audio over USB to your interface, and from there into a DAW.
But you're right, a lot will depend on how ASIO4ALL handles that in the DAW.
projectaspen

Post by projectaspen »

that is amazing, so you actually got USB Audio from the Roland while using your own interface?

I didn't even find the ASIO4ALL thing in my system so this looks like a long road..
Lunar wrote:I see what you mean, in theory you should be okay to do what you need. The FA transmits audio & MIDI at the same time over USB, but it appears to be mutually exclusive. I've run the FA and a Gaia audio at the same time over USB to an interface for live performance (from there into a sub-mixer), so the FA should transmit the audio over USB to your interface, and from there into a DAW.
But you're right, a lot will depend on how ASIO4ALL handles that in the DAW.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

There are no problems with Rolands driver.
Liberal_Nuance

Post by Liberal_Nuance »

I was searching around for people with this same problem: Use Roland as USB Audio and also use interface at the same time. I have a 'workaround' that doesn't use Asio4All. In fact my workaround has gotten more elaborate over time, until now I have more inputs than ever. I use the Voice Meeter program to bring the driver version of Roland synth sound in and then send it out, virtually to an interface output I plug in (1 of 2 interfaces I have plugged directly to 2 of the USB ports of the computer). From there I have it patched back into the interface with a very short patch cable, and then I send it over ADAT to the interface which is used as the audio engine in my DAW. This allows the maximum inputs. I am using Presonus 1810c as my DAW's audio engine, connected to a USB C. I use Presonus 1824c to send ADAT from to the 1810c. This is very new to me, but it works well. The Voice Meeter program seems to work flawlessly and has a lot of options. I actually run 2 of the ins from 2 different Roland synths this way) The System 1m will make a terrible buzz when connected to the Arturia Beat Step Pro's modular outputs, so I had to have it connected this way via its USB interface.

I had been using 2 non ADAT interfaces to do much the same but my inputs were more limited that way (only had 8 from the one interface) as I used patch cables to bring audio from the interface's outs (the VM software returns) to the other interface's ins (to the DAW) that took 4 ins for the two rolands, and didn't leave me with many ins to spare on my 8 in DAW interface.

I had problems with the Asio4All program, it always turned static going off the track and required a buffer size juggling in settings to get back on track. It went off track a lot. The difference here being that the VoiceMeeter runs outside of the DAW, and allows the DAW's audio to stay with the chosen interface (in Windows computers).

No matter how many inputs you get on 1 interface, the problem will remain that these Rolands digital ins can not be used (in Windows computers) without such a solution. The Voice Meeter program being available for free, it's worth trying.