Recording vocals and guitar in FA 06/08

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
tgchan

Recording vocals and guitar in FA 06/08

Post by tgchan »

I have found this:

https://youtu.be/VxWE4yuX9II

but I would love to hear from people on the forums, if anyone has tried their mic or guitar and how well does it record it. Can you add MFX (effects) later on to the sample/track?

I don't have any of those instruments yet, but I will try some cheapo pc mic and big jack plug converter, I wonder if it will work lol
Skijumptoes

Re: Recording vocals and guitar in FA 06/08

Post by Skijumptoes »

I've tried mic, vocals, external sampler, vinyl turntables and FM radios :)

So far my thoughts are:-

Pros
1. Recording works great, i.e. sound quality is good, recording levels seem good - no complaints there, even the Noise Suppressor works well if you've got a bit of floor noise on a guitar etc. This acts as a gate to close off the signal below a certain level.

2. You can add reverb/delay/pan-delay direct on the input, or set a TFX effect on the input (There's an option 'TFX Loc' on the effects edit screen to move it to the input), and this is also recorded with the signal when sampling to a pad.

3. If you're interested in playing Piano, singing at the same time, it's superb - bit of reverb on the mic, headphones on, and you're in your own personal Jazz club - By far my favourite feature! :-)

Cons
1. You can't hear other audio recordings when recording a new one - i.e. if you had a guitar playback on pad 1, and want to record new vocals to pad 2, pad 1 will not play during record, but it will playback after record.

2. No MFX on Part 16 (Sample pads), and not found any work around to fudge it either.

3. Any effect applied on the input is saved within the sample, meaning that you can't change it later.

4. Limited to 4 pads playing back at once, obviously.

For me the strongest point is being able to sing and play piano etc. at the same time. From a songwriting perspective this is awesome. I can take this keyboard anywhere with power, plug it in, headphones and mic - and bingo! :)

Once you step beyond a single audio track, things become much trickier to manage, if you want my honest opinion.

I've had a lot of fun sampling vinyl in however, i've got tons of old 70s vinyl and playing those in and chopping up samples and playing back songs in different orders is really cool, particularly when you put it through the sequencer and add drums to it.

For me, i find the FA to be very strong at coming up with ideas and songwriting - for full compositions.. not quite so strong... for full compositions with audio... i think it would be hard work, and not ever going to try it! :)

One thing, if you want a cheap mic, i'd recommend something like the PDMIC78 - They're super cheap, very clear, and come with the cable you need! At least in the UK/US they're cheap. Will be better than a PC mic i would hope.
tgchan

Post by tgchan »

What a great reply... I have found what I have asked for and so much more... THANK YOU~!!

Yea, cheap pc is the only thing I have got now, but it would be only to test things out (what can I do with sample etc.).
jambuti

Post by jambuti »

Skijumptoes wrote:I've tried mic, vocals, external sampler, vinyl turntables and FM radios :)
Is it possible to record guitar or vocal samples whilst listening to the sequencer?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yup you can record audio and hear it with the internal sounds of the FA.

However, as all external sounds go through the sample mechanism (i.e. Mic/Guitar/External synths etc) it's important to note that the sampler is limited to:-

a. Play up to 4 samples at once.
or
b. Record to 1 sample location.

You couldn't record a guitar track, and then record vocals while hearing the previously recorded guitar track, for example. Because during audio recording, all sample playback is disabled.

You can record a guitar track to the built in sequenced drums/bass/synth from the FA though, and then record the vocals separately and play them back together, just not hear other audio tracks during recording.

If you're looking at multitrack recording with the FA, it's not ideal for the very reasons stated above.

Once the recordings are into a sample pad, you then also have to pick a point in the sequencer where that sample pad is played - again, not suited for multi-tracking, and displays more that the FA is just a basic sample playback device for external audio.

It's quite hard to explain really. :) If you're looking for something to multi-track audio standalone with, then the FA really isn't suitable.

If you're using it with a DAW and using it's built in audio interface then it's very good as an all-in-one solution that way. Just not standalone.