Sequencing Recorded Audio

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
russelljay

Sequencing Recorded Audio

Post by russelljay »

Hi, just a quick one here....

Is it possible to Sequencing Recorded Audio using the sequencer on the FA 08?

I can essentially use the pads but it appears that I can only select one track that has pad assign...

Perhaps you could point me in the direction of some tutorials and the manual page, etc?

Much appreciated!!

thanks
Skijumptoes

Re: Sequencing Recorded Audio

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yup, you're right you can only:

1. Play sample pads from one channel/part (16 by default).
2. Play a total of 4 Samples at once

Also:-

1. You can't record new sample pads while the existing ones are playing from sequencer mode.

When part 16 is selected you can also play the samples via the keyboard (C1 - upwards).
Candy

Post by Candy »

Go to sample Edit and switch the gate of the sample to "OFF" (very importand)
Go to the sequencer, go to record (on Track 16 PAD), start recording and push the pad-button of the sample, which you want to play later. Record over the entire length of the sample and give some more measures, then stop the sequencer.
After this recording got to Microscope Edit and place the Event exactly to the place, from where it should start. With velocity you can change the Volume of your sample.
When you want to record more samples, continue in the same way, I described. Record always on Track 16 (MIX) and place the samples to the right way. You can use all 64 samples, but only 4 can play at the same time (look at the Demo-Song on the factory-SD-Card, it is a good example). With more samples, f.e. 64, is usefull, when you have short audiotracks.
Attention: Don´t change the tempo of the sequence after recording the samples, because they have a static lenght (Time Stretching and so on is not possible).

Have fun!
Candy
PugFace

Post by PugFace »

Also add..

If the recording in to the sample is from a midi part or multiple parts eg. drum track and bass. Then solo those midi tracks after putting them in to loop mode to record as many repeats as needed.

If the recording is from external equipment then a useful way to record these is to record midi on a part for these if desired, then solo that midi track. Or alternatively just straight record and edit the sample to position the start at some sample point that allows the first note to come at the point in the sequencer when you want it to. This allows experimentation later too. You can start the metronome if you want to play a full part to get the timing correct and the metronome will not be put in to sample. If you want to get rid of the external equipments midi notes later then you can use 'undo' straight away after recording the notes and the sample.

Think of the sampler as a full audio track recorder with up to 4 simultaneous parts that you can bounce to when you want and experiment with but cannot bounce other sample parts unfortunately. This is great if you have analog synths in your set up. Also the sampler can function as a notepad if something suddenly comes from your fingers that you like.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yup, used my sample pads for exactly that 'notepad' reason - for simple piano and vocal parts. It's great being able to record ideas in, i've used the mic input to sing along and/or to record my comments on which patch i've used to make the sound and what chords i'm playing. lol.

I've even said hello to myself a few times through it too at the start of each recording.... hmmm... maybe i'm just going slowly mental. :)