Weird volume drop

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
HonesVonHonestein

Weird volume drop

Post by HonesVonHonestein »

Hi,
Recently my FA has started to drop in volume. It isn't a gradual thing it just will drop low and hang out barely there. When I turn the cutoff knob (or use the D-Beam, which I have set to cutoff) it will come back to normal volume.
Any one else noticed anything similar? And if so what is happening and how to fix it.
Thanks!
Skijumptoes

Re: Weird volume drop

Post by Skijumptoes »

Is it connected to any other midi gear or computer? If so, is it possible a message is being sent from elsewhere causing this to happen?

Also, are you using the sequencer on the FA, again, is there any kind of CC messages, such as cutoff, being played back there?

I mean, is it a volume drop, or just the cutoff being changed? If you can determine which it will help you solve this.

If you think it's volume, then when it happens next, check the settings for the part you're using on the FA's screen, and see if the volume parameter has changed. Likewise, if you're in a studio set you can view all the parts cutoff/volumes etc. also so check this when it happens too.

As it comes back when you turn the cutoff knob, it doesn't sound like a hardware issue at least!
HonesVonHonestein

Post by HonesVonHonestein »

The only external gear I have connected to the fa's in is a tr8. I didn't think it would send any CC messages but it could. I've realized it's not just the cutoff that will cause it to come back on. Changing the studio set will bring volume back as well.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Watch the part view on the FA and see which control changes on the screen when it drops, i think is the best advice here.

Another possibility is do you have an expression pedal attached? It could be that triggering.
iluvchiclets

Post by iluvchiclets »

Watch your D -beam as well...

My FA sits on the lower shelf of a two tier stand. Because there is a keyboard overhead I cannot use the D-beam. The few times I have used the beam made the keyboard act funny - the board above affects the beam!

Make sure a spotlight, cable, shelf, etc is not triggering the expression beam. Try turning the beam off?