FA PC Editor...

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Key2in

FA PC Editor...

Post by Key2in »

Hi, in the past I have used Roland fantom now I am changing my keyboard to FA6 I quite like it but I have checked its specification on the Roland website but it doesn’t have Detailed Specs on the FA6 so I would like to know a few things:

How many pre-set sounds and user sounds does it have?
How many pre-set Arpeggios and user Arpeggios does it have?
Very importantly does it have a PC editor?
What is the total user memory?
Are the Axial sound library and Expansion slot sounds free downloads?
Myrk-

Re: FA PC Editor...

Post by Myrk- »

I'll try and [poorly] answer, but many of the exact answers to your questions are available online or in the manual (freely downloadable on the Roland website). I'll give you my perspective ;)

+How many pre-set sounds and user sounds does it have? More than you'll need!

+How many pre-set Arpeggios and user Arpeggios does it have? I never use the inbuilt ones... I make my own.

+Very importantly does it have a PC editor? I think it synchronises with Ableton... and can be used as a DAW controller... but it can import smf (midi) so you can use any program to write your tracks (even guitarpro!). The whole thing just plays back midi to the integra 7 chip and you just scroll around selecting your sounds. Very fun and quick for writing as you can record your phrase in a base tone then try and find a good sound later when you have the time.

+What is the total user memory? Hundreds, maybe thousands of slots? I don't think I'll ever run out. I've already loaded most of the FA stuff on Axial, as well as the integra 7 sound sets, and got hundreds of slots still! And they are banked into different types of sounds depending on how its made. The one downside is the expansions - you can only load in 2 at a time (weird limitation), but you can keep all of them on a USB and just do a boot load when you want to change. But yer... limited at 2 of those, so if you wanted the awesome drums, the full orchestra and one of the other expansions loaded you're out of luck!

+Are the Axial sound library and Expansion slot sounds free downloads? Yup! What used to costs hundreds is now free! You can also use all the integra-7 patches (check youtube for the method) as the internal chip is the same.
Key2in

Post by Key2in »

Thank you for your answer for PC editor but I’ve used JUNO-g in the past. It was easier for me because I only work on that editor. No doubt that FA is a good product but if Rowland provide its own editor that it would have been a lot better by saving me time. As you know one click of a mouse does many things.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Yer I believe a key focus on the FA-06 and 08 is that they are performance work stations that allow you to create without stopping (supposedly, but the loop function is not controllable when in play...)
tchelomgf

Post by tchelomgf »

Hi, New Editor for Windows available here:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=58136