MFX & TFX

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Key2in

MFX & TFX

Post by Key2in »

Hi, I would like to know more about the FA06 sequencer mode multi effects system.
When I record a song in sequencer mode can I apply different multi effects on each of the 16 channels individually? - for example on channel 1 delay, flanger & reverb, on channel 2 different type of delay effect chorus& reverb and so on so I get different multi effects on 16 channels!
If this is possible then how can I do this is there any tutorial videos for this?
In FA06 there are different EQ parts for each of the 16 channels so is there different effects for each channel.
Anyhow kindly I want to understand more about the MXF and TFX effect processor.
Skijumptoes

Re: MFX & TFX

Post by Skijumptoes »

One MFX for each part, and TFX goes on top.

You can also substitute the compressor for an IFX (Insert FX) and select which parts (And what level) this applies to, but this is fixed as to what the IFX parameters are.

Certain MFX's that you can select have multiple effects, i.e. "Distortion and Delay", so you can get multi fx running like that, but you can't stack more than one MFX on a single part. (i.e. you can't use a wah and tremolo on the same patch for example).

Of course, each part also has Reverb and Chorus sends too - and the chorus can double as a delay, again like IFX these are global parameters but you can adjust the wetness of each part going through reverb/delay etc.

This may sound like a restriction, but in fact, it's a great system as your sound design on a single instrument, generally will sound the same one brought into a studio set.

On previous Roland gear, you had only a few MFX's which had to be used sparingly, and usually when creating a lush patch in single instrument mode, you wouldn't be able to recall it in multi-part because the MFX's could all be used.

Plus, it makes editing super easy. The FA has enough power to stack MFX's on one part, but how would you manage it? I think it would make the FA much more complicated to use.

So.. Yeah, would be nice to be able to stack MFX's, but i 100% prefer this method where each part is guaranteed an MFX.
Key2in

Post by Key2in »

Hi, Thank you for your well detailed reply, I am a computer based musician and my DAW is CAUBASE 8.5. I don’t use FA for live purposes so please if you could help me use the MFX and IFX just for sequencer mode.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yeah sure, what kind of help do you want?