Hold pedal timeout/release

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Nyctinus

Hold pedal timeout/release

Post by Nyctinus »

Hi people, I have just got an FA-08 and I have the DP-10 Sustain pedal plugged into the hold slot, which works fine, the question I have is about the keyboard. When using the piano sounds, the pedal acts as it would with a real piano; but when I use it with other sounds (strings, synth etc) it 'Holds' the sound litrilally forever. That's good for a lot of things, but where I'm coming from, I want to layer strings and piano and have the piano sustain effect on the strings too. At the moment I have hold turned off in the MIDI Rx Filter for the strings, otherwise it sounds horrible. Any advice? Thanks.
Gatorjohn

Re: Piano sustain pedal effect for other sounds?

Post by Gatorjohn »

Check out this video by Ed Diaz starting around 2min in, it may help with what you're trying to do.

https://youtu.be/MOIBIqagSxk
Nyctinus

Re: Piano sustain pedal effect for other sounds?

Post by Nyctinus »

Gatorjohn wrote:Check out this video by Ed Diaz starting around 2min in, it may help with what you're trying to do.

https://youtu.be/MOIBIqagSxk
Thanks for relplying, but I stated in the op that I already know how to turn off hold for certain parts. I may have not explained myself very well, what I am trying to is not turn off the hold pedal, but change it so it has more of a timeout/release. I'm starting to think this is impossible.
bennyseven

Re: Hold pedal timeout/release

Post by bennyseven »

If you adjust the sustain time/level (ADSR) the sound will hold with the pedal but then fade out depending on the soustain settings. Check it out.
Using presets you must write the new Tone in a user location.
Nyctinus

Post by Nyctinus »

bennyseven wrote:If you adjust the sustain time/level (ADSR) the sound will hold with the pedal but then fade out depending on the soustain settings. Check it out.
Using presets you must write the new Tone in a user location.
I don't know if I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't find any parameters relating to sustain time. I have looked in tone edit, effects edit, and everywhere I can think. Could you please tell me exactly where to do this? Thanks.
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Nyc,

You can do this is Part View in Studio Set mode. Press Shift+Part View and you can scroll over to ADSR settings.

Not sure if there is another way, but if not, you should also be able to then save the tone via the Write button if you want to use it in other Studio Sets.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Joe