FA08 External Tones Editor

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
xenomorph59

FA08 External Tones Editor

Post by xenomorph59 »

Without using my FA08 as a DAW, please can someone explain how I can turn my already sampled sounds into tones that I can import and then use in a studio set. My samples are the 'hoot' sounds in Locked out of Heaven' Bruno Mars.
Many thanks
Skijumptoes

Re: FA08 External Tones Editor

Post by Skijumptoes »

Are they on the sample pads already?

If so, just use part 16 to play them back.
xenomorph59

Post by xenomorph59 »

Yes they are but I've not been able to work out how to play them back.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I don't know if you're aware of the limitations or not?

i.e. you can't pitch the samples across the keyboard and stuff like that, you can only play the samples back at the same pitch and speed that you recorded/imported them in as.

Using Part 16 - you start from Low C and the samples will be lined up as per the pads, except that you get velocity control on the keys.
xenomorph59

Post by xenomorph59 »

Here is a youtube video of what I want to end up with on my FA08. Is it not possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlQYryPu53Q
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yeah it is possible, but the section from 1:17 would require all different samples on each key at different pitches to be able to reproduce using samples. Saying that, you could probably recreate the sound within the FA quite easily on it's own patch.

Other than that, it's just two vocal samples, which you can just import into a sample pad, and then playback using Part 16 (Or the pads themselves) - those are easy.

FYI:- You can't take one sample and spread it across different keys and the FA plays them at different pitches - that's the big limitation, and ideally would be how you would recreate the section at 1:17 by using a single sample.
xenomorph59

Post by xenomorph59 »

Thanks for your help. I've now been told that the sound is a Brazilian Cuica. Perhaps I can find that tone for the Roland :)
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

If you like to receive a copy of that samples, please PN