Help please! Fa 06 Studio set.

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
mugur_clape

Help please! Fa 06 Studio set.

Post by mugur_clape »

Hello everyone. I am new on this forum. I am the "not so proud anymore" owner of a new FA-06. It's about 3 days old and I already stumbled on a weird issue. I made a studio set of about 6 sounds and I use the pads for part mute, to switch fast between sounds and to rapidly combine the 6 sounds in any way I need. Today I had a rehearsal and I noticed that some of the sounds just cut out and the piano witch is the loudest in the set loses sustain and also again notes just disappear. It's like I exceeded the polyphony...but that can't be...right? I never use more than 3 sounds simultaneously...For f... sake you are allowed to combine 16...and this weird issue happens even when I am only playing one single sound. Did anyone else have this problem? Any advice is appreciated. I'm furious...absolutely furious...it's the sixth keyboard from Roland since I start playing music that went wrong. And the service and customer support in my country is...awful...i could say non-existent.
Skijumptoes

Re: Help please! Fa 06 Studio set.

Post by Skijumptoes »

Any external gear/pedals etc that could be sending midi cc messages to cut notes/adjust waveforms etc.?

Also, do you have any voice reserve settings enabled in Part View?
mugur_clape

Post by mugur_clape »

Only a sustain/hold pedal. I am not yet familliar with all the functions of the keyboard and i don't know what you are talking about in the second suggestion. If you can explain a little i would be grateful.Thanks for the reply.
mugur_clape

Post by mugur_clape »

Come on guys? No one else noticed this problem? Uhhh..Roland.. nice company, nice forum. Thank you all! Tomorrow i'm taking this toy back and buying a moxf.
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

Latest firmware 1.03?
JPWC

Post by JPWC »

Between playing lots of noted, layering, sustain pedal, multi-part set, voice reserve. It is posible to exceed the 128 voive maximum, which can lead to voice drop out, (notes stop sounding). Try reducing your active part selection, program a studio set with less parts. see the manual, search for "voice reserve".

Good luck.

The FA06 is my go anywhere, easy to use, great sounding, live performance keyboard.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Hello mugur_clape,
this issue is discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48574#p278376

Saying you are not familiar with this synth, I recommend to get familiar in general with voice structures, as they are the same on all synth (incl. MOXF).
Cheers,
BennySeven
mugur_clape

Post by mugur_clape »

Yes I have the last firmware. And yes I verified the "voice reserve" settings in part view they are all at 0. Come on guys it's not rocket science and i'm not an idiot. I have an old Juno G witch was cheaper than the fa when new and I used to have 6 or 7 part patches that sounded fine with no problem... until the lcd broke...i replaced the lcd and it broke again. But that is another story. Thanks for the replies and sorry if i seem rude but i am so nervous about this. Again, it's cheap but i didn't find a 1000 $ on the street. :( If it's a case of exceeding polyphony than clearly this instrument is not for me. I need something that could hold on to more complex patches.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Personally I've encountered hundreds of issues with the FA-06. The latest being that it can't play imported SMF files in time... arg... seriously? Thing is with the FA-06 is it's an all in 1 station, and hates to be used in conjunction with any other piece of gear. As an external hardware user I've written this synth off as junk... unfortunately for me I'm in Hong Kong where Roland don't give any support (they like to constantly reply with the generic your outside USA so f**k off, and after a back and forward argument about the fact that Roland don't have a Hong Kong customer services team that speaks English, and that I'm from UK/USA, they will finally answer my question), and in Hong Kong theres no refunds, so this FA-06 has been an expensive mistake. Maybe try a Fantom G from 2008 lol... but then your issue is that Roland decided to f**K all those guys over by not updating 2 letters in the driver to make it Windows 10 compatible! Astonishing how they get away with this sorta shit. Arturia on the other hand have the best customer service I've seen of any company... Lets hope the Keystep pro does the job for both your problem and mine!
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Myrk, i really enjoy your posts and i know you're frustrated with other issues, but that post really isn't relevant to resolving mugur_clape's issue, can we try and help instead?

mugur, did you read the link that bennyseven put up?

I think in your case, it's important to take note that reading that link, muting a track still causes it take from the max polyphony pool, so even though it's muted you are still using that voice up - i can't help but feel this is the key to your issue.

Also, the 127 max 'voice' polyphony on the FA is related to each tone within a patch, so for example, patches (such as pads etc) may have 3 tones within them, meaning that a 4 note chord will be using 12 voices on it's own - this can soon add up when you have long release tails too.

You need to set the voice reserve values to make sure that the prominent tones (Piano etc.) always have enough spare.

For the record, i'm regularly playing with 5-6 parts running at once for big layers and i've not hit this problem, so i still wonder if there's something else going on, like stuck notes, or you have ALL the parts keyboard enabled for example, and are muting them all - applying the above logic, this will kill your polyphony un-necessarily.

For example, if i set Parts 1-16 to be keyboard enabled, or on the same midi channel, and then part muted all but part 1 - it would kill polyphony for that part. - Does that make sense? I'm guessing you're doing something similar.
mugur_clape

Post by mugur_clape »

Yes. I realized that the muted parts are still playing. Thank you for your reply and your will to help. Sorry again for my nervous behaviour. I thought that I could do more with this keyboard from all it's online presentations but in the end it's best to assume that it's not for me. Today I took the keyboard back to the store and I am expecting the moxf 6 to arrive in three days. I hope I made a better choice this time. Bye guys. Keep the music going.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Skijumptoes I probably should have put the [un]helpful bit at the beginning, I assumed my post kinda gave the general impression... I have the same issue as Mugur when triggering imported SMF's I created on other midi programs and found no solution at all to this issue (I'm not maxing polyphony from what I can see, deleting out the other tracks doesn't help, I also emailed Roland and got a blah-ze ambigous answer, similar to my frustration email thread). Ultimately he sounds like he is in the same situation as me that this was just one more issue to pile onto the mountain. I'm sure many get great usage out of the FA, but for some it's not there - at least he could get a refund :P
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

A relevant bit of the excellent post by bennyseven, linked above is:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FA has 128 voice polyphony.

voice = up to 4 per TONE
STUDIO SET = up to 16 PARTS which are respresented by TONEs

Playing a multi layered set with 3 four-voice PARTS will give us a calculated polyphony of 128/4/3= 11
So we can press 11 keys on the keyboard an we have reached the full polyphony of the FA.

If you press the sustain pedal, the system has to decide. Which key should be sustained, which should be cut off?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But there is even more, when you are connected to a DAW. It isn't too difficult to accidentally double the notes being used up by having MIDI Ports setup incorrectly via the DAW, or a couple of the FA's settings. There are a lot of combinations that can make this happen, so it helps if you can put a MIDI monitor in the mix, or if your DAW can capture and display MIDI messages. This has tripped me up a couple of times, and were both due to settings in Logic Pro & my FA-06. I use templates for both now, which avoids the problems I had.. but thought I would throw it out there. It is far more likely that you are inadvertently doubling up your MIDI messages, or not counting what is being used. Again (to Bennyseven's post above), even with hardly an effort - you can get yourself down to 11 note polyphony... which gets cut, if you are sustaining.
LivingEdge

Post by LivingEdge »

I've had a lot of problems that seem to be over ployphony, but ends up being all I need to do is resave the studio set and everything starts working again. I don't know what's going on, but looks like might be a software (firmware) bug, me thinks!
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

LivingEdge wrote:I've had a lot of problems that seem to be over ployphony, but ends up being all I need to do is resave the studio set and everything starts working again. I don't know what's going on, but looks like might be a software (firmware) bug, me thinks!
That doesn't seem right? You might want to try doing a backup first, then a factory reset: https://www.rolandus.com/support/knowle ... /201978649