FA-08, motif or krome???

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Firebladegriff

FA-08, motif or krome???

Post by Firebladegriff »

Hi people,
I'm new to the group and keyboards. Though I used to have a technics twin deck organ ages ago lol.Im looking to invest in a good workstation and have around £1200. I'm drawn towards the FA-08 or the Yamaha motif 88 key.
I have also looking at Korg Krome. I would prefer the weighted keyboard as wife plays piano.
Can you give me any pros and cons on anything around with 88 weighted keys where I can begin to create music.
Cheers Griff
Joe P

Re: FA-08, motif or krome???

Post by Joe P »

Hi Griff,

I can't really speak for the Krome, but I know that the FA will probably be a lot easier to use than the Motif. Yamahas in general, although they have stellar sounds and incredible capabilities, are not user friendly.

Even as a KB-er with a decent amount of experience, I stay away from Yamahas for that reason. The MOXF8 doesn't even have the word "piano" on the top panel! (At least I couldn't find it when I checked it out).

Good luck!

Joe
Firebladegriff

Post by Firebladegriff »

Cheers Joe
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I originally got a Yamaha, and then swapped it out for an FA - purely on synth sounds alone, and i found the piano slightly better on the FA, not to mention the coloured display and supernatural synth editing options.

The yamaha, also just didn't inspire me once i got it home, it felt like a wall of buttons.

However, many of the acoustic sounds (Which i don't use so much), such as strings and nylon guitars are slightly better on the Yamaha's, when i say 'better' i mean they have more detail/texture to them - but really, once in a mix (Be it live or studio) i don't think there's a gaping difference so much, but the Yamaha's do shine in that area.

It's such a personal thing, and dependant on whether you're connecting to a computer, controlling hardware, performing live etc. there's a lot of factors to consider.

Ultimately, for me, sound-wise it comes down to whether you prefer strings and guitars (Mox) vs synth sounds (FA).

Keybeds, i think you adjust to either, so not major differences.

If you just play for your own enjoyment then the arps on the Yamaha may make you smile (a lot), you can have a lot of accompaniments surrounding your own playing, the separate arps can control strings, drums, bass etc - it's incredibly good for that.

Unless you really like the Krome, it wouldn't be a good choice vs the Mox/Fa's, honestly, i'd strike it off the list.

This youtube playlist may interest you:-

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... EJBoH_7LVL
Firebladegriff

Post by Firebladegriff »

Thanks for your post. Korg has gone.
LivingEdge

Post by LivingEdge »

I own the FA-08 and really like the weighted keys. They just feel good to me.

And the unit's not that heavy to move around if necessary. I have heard a lot about arps on the MOX's though. Yamaha is one I don't have yet. First was Casio workstation, then Triton LE, then Roland FA-08. Still have all three.
robooooo

Post by robooooo »

I have a Korg Krome 88 which i bought from http://www.belfieldmusic.com.au/korg-kr ... 8-key.html

Iam really loving it. The only thing is that it take a while to boot up. Other than that its great. Would definitely recommend it.