Overlay / Graphic panel for FA-06 and FA-08

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Myrk-

Overlay / Graphic panel for FA-06 and FA-08

Post by Myrk- »

Hey all,

Some are already aware that I have been working on a faceplate / overlay for the FA-06 and 08 keyboards to sort out the unreadable text due to the shiney top (just like the JD-XA). Below is a preview of the faceplate:
BlackRed.jpg
BlackRed.jpg (30.09 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
My quick 10 minute photoshop (NOT THE ACTUAL PRODUCT):
FA Mockup.jpg
FA Mockup.jpg (443.82 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Price is gunna be in the $75-90 range I think based on the current quotes, I can do international shipping anywhere for about $10 (I'm in Hong Kong).

I should get the first batch through soon, but haven't pressed the go button yet so if there is any feedback on the current design let me know now! (I am thinking of removing the bottom red line)
cda

Re: Overlay / Graphic panel for FA-06 and FA-08

Post by cda »

Like it. Good work.

I have a question or two: are these things easy to apply? Also, will they damage the board when taken off?
scramble

Post by scramble »

> if there is any feedback on the current design let me know now!

Well, I hate the red. I just hate red on keyboards in general. But as there's already red on the keyboard it makes sense, it doesn't leave you much choice.

Red line at the bottom seems all right to me.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Yer I thought it best to work with the red rather than turn it black and white - I know some JD-XA owners have been removing all the red, but ultimately it's in vain because all the LED's are red too so it still glows a hot red!

The overlays will have 3M sticky backing, and using a system of aligned masking tape it's pretty simple to get it on. 3M usually needs a firm press to secure it too, so when you lay it on you can peel it back off without much effort at all - once you've given it a good press down though it's gunna be trickier! To remove it is just like removing any sticker (but think of a 1/4mm thick plastic sticker, so not so bendy) - slowly and carefully, and using some meth. spirits to remove any excess gunk - should come out back to new, but honestly I can't see you'd ever want to turn it back to glossy(even if you're selling the FA)! :P

For these overlays I'm using the same manufacturing company I've utilized for other random electronics projects I've done - they did a fantastic job on my 90 degree curved membrane switch triggers I designed for electronic drum cymbal chokes.

Also so people are aware this is also on the FA facebook group so I can gain a proper indication of numbers. First batch will be 50 faceplates on a first come first served basis, however I will prioritize all orders from this forum before other sources so that everyone from here can get one on the first batch!
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

scramble:

without the red line
FA Mockup no red line.jpg
FA Mockup no red line.jpg (438.8 KiB) Viewed 3874 times
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

...and the B&W version, which may be possible given I will have the screen print setup, just need to change the ink colour. I'll inquire to see if it's easy for them to do a few in greyscale.
FA Mockup bw.jpg
FA Mockup bw.jpg (416.29 KiB) Viewed 3874 times
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Very good work. I also don't like the red color.
I like something like the 'orange' type of colors with grey background, like older Roland gear had. See the photo of Jupiter and your old post from 21th sept. (I know it is red, but it lokks very similar to orange on this photo).
Jupiter 8
Jupiter 8
Jupiter-8.JPG (64.99 KiB) Viewed 3858 times
Myrk's overlay
Myrk's overlay
20160921_203153%20%28Small%29.jpg (117.88 KiB) Viewed 3858 times
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

I'll enquire about passing different colours through the mold, and if they have a grey colour available for the polycarbonate material, then I can just put orange through the red sections and have what you want... But I need to see if this is possible - won't know until I can contact them on monday.
scramble

Post by scramble »

Whether or not the red line is there doesn't make much difference to me. And I actually prefer the red version to the B&W version, although I like the orange better (sort of goes with the existing red).

But I should shut up anyway because I'm not sure I want one -- I'm not keen on putting anything sticky on top, knowing me I'll never get it straight. (I thought we were talking non-sticky vinyl.) So my opinion shouldn't be given too much weight.
scramble

Post by scramble »

I should add: I really love can-do guys like Myrk who get these sort of things done. Bravo.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Ok the first run will be the red and black overlay, without the bottom red line, and with seethrough screen protector areas so any uncovered areas are also protected (Main screen, tempo, and the Sound Modify select triangles)! Just finished going through all the material samples, and got the exact same texture as the JD-XA overlay from SynthGraphics. Doing the final layout check this weekend, and production will start Monday! W00p!

Pretty sure price will be US$75, gotta check if I can bundle international shipping in or if it will be +US$5 (international shipping from HK is pretty cheap) in a stiff non-fold packet. I'll set up a payment/order system in the next few days!
tomkitel

Post by tomkitel »

Myrk- wrote: Pretty sure price will be US$75, gotta check if I can bundle international shipping in or if it will be +US$5 (international shipping from HK is pretty cheap) in a stiff non-fold packet. I'll set up a payment/order system in the next few days!
This is great news! I am ready to place an order once it's available.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Hey does anyone know a good online ordering platform (preferably one that doesn't charge a % otherwise I have to add it on to the total cost)? If I can set up an online shop it's going to be much easier to track it all! :)
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

bennyseven are these the colours you want? I don't have an original grey/orange synth around to colour match... (will look into doing a run of 20 B&W, and maybe 20 orange grey, depending on how many people are interested, but that would be in a few months).
Bennyseven colour scheme.jpg
Bennyseven colour scheme.jpg (100.52 KiB) Viewed 3632 times
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

yes, very nice.