Popping Sounds in WAV files

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
CAM!

Popping Sounds in WAV files

Post by CAM! »

Hey guys. I've had my FA for almost a year now, and it's going great. but yesterday I exported some stereo mixes to WAV and when I played them back on my computer, they all have popping and a couple of them even studder (the latter really freaked me out). Any Ideas what could have caused it?

Disclosures: Of the 4 files, 3 of them had no TFXs assigned, I did have quite a bit compression on all of them because when I've exported tracks in the past they are VERY low volume-wise. (But they never popped before)
Could it be overuse of compression? Might I have a failing SD card?
Any help advice or questions are gladly welcome!

Thanks in advance
Skijumptoes

Re: Popping Sounds in WAV files

Post by Skijumptoes »

To me, i think the issue could with your computer somewhere? An indication will be to replay the files and see if the popping/stuttering is in the exact same point each time - if it isn't then it is your computer playback where the issue lays.

For example - It could be possible that your computer is reading the SD card slow, Did you try copying the files to your computer before playing them?
CAM!

Post by CAM! »

Yup, that was it! It plays back perfectly smooth when I put the tracks on my phone and play from there. But on my laptop there's all kinds of issues, even when I copy the tracks onto the hard drive. I knew my computer was slow, but this is ridiculous lol.

Thanks Skijumptoes
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Wow! Your machine must really be suffering if it can't play a wav file back... So i would guess that It's most likely to be the media player/codec you're using - have you tried something like VLC player?
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

It's very friendly on resources.
CAM!

Post by CAM! »

Yes, my machine is pathetic. I only use it for Microsoft Word and light websurfing. I think you're right about the codecs because after an update of my media player (Light Alloy) is when I started having problems with it and Windows Media Player as well. I actually use VLC on my phone, so i'll give it a try on my laptop.