Question from newbie! Saving sound modify changes.

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Stew77

Question from newbie! Saving sound modify changes.

Post by Stew77 »

Hi all,

First post - long term Korg user but just bought an FA 06 and think its excellent! I've been searching for the answer to a question and can't find the solution in the Roland manual....

When you use the 6 Sound Modify knobs to adjust a sound can these changes be saved? I've tried changing a sound and using the "write" feature which appears to create a new user patch and tells me its saved. However when I go back to that patch later the changes I made aren't evident.

I realise that I can use the longer winded "tone edit" pages but sometime all it needs is a little tweak from the modify knobs. Can anyone tell me if these changes are saved and if so am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

Stewart
Gatorjohn

Re: Question from newbie! Saving sound modify changes.

Post by Gatorjohn »

Pretty sure the sound modify buttons are for live play. Anything that you modify and want to stick must be made with tone edit and saved to a slot. PG 46-48 of the manual.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

The sound modify knob adjustments are purely offsets on top of the patch preset values, they can be saved within studio sets for all 16 parts.

The offsets are like a layer above the presets, if that make sense. So you could have a slow attack pad preset, but dialling the attack modify knob anti-clockwise to minus values will make it faster attack. If the original preset had a 0 attack setting, then dialling back in the same manner would have no effect - hope that kinda makes sense. :)

Further Note: A Patch preset can be built of 1-4 partials (Depending on patch type), so the sound modify adjustments are very good for adjusting all these partials as an overall setting offset - if you go to tone edit, you may need to adjust each partial if there's more than one.
Stew77

Post by Stew77 »

So you can adjust the sound but have to save it as a studio set instead of a single preset?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yup, if you want to use the sound modify knobs - this is a function of Studio Sets, purely because they are 'offsets' from the initial presets.