Using Transpose to relocate a Drum sound

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Skijumptoes

Re: Using Transpose to relocate a Drum sound

Post by Skijumptoes »

scramble wrote:But as I said, it would make more sense to just create a clap tone from the existing in-built clap waveforms, rather than take up a whole EXP slot for that.
Not for me, it makes more sense to have all options available, which is what you have (?!)

You've got the option to personalise the FA to meet your needs by creating new presets from the existing waveforms. Or you can load up an expansion that gives you all the menus ready to go, a stack of new sounds, new waveforms, loops etc.

Surely that's better than it coming with a load of presets for separate claps (As an example) that the majority of people would probably not make use of? Plus there's extension there on a waveform level, that's not even taking into account the integra presets that you can load in that make use of the SN-S synthesis.

Just can't see an issue with how it's set up if i'm honest, add in the ability to create an entire studio set of drum sounds using the menu presets, sample into the pads what you want and save into a song file that you can load up - it's just ridiculously flexible!
scramble

Post by scramble »

I'm struggling to understand what you're on about, but I didn't say don't use an EXP slot. Of course you use them. But load the EXP expansions you really want. There's no point loading the Dance Trax one if you just want some basic clap sounds, which you can make yourself from the in-built samples, if there are other EXPs that have loads of sounds you want.

(And I still say some separate handclap and finger snap Tones would be useful for a lot of keyboard players, I consider them fairly essential bread-and-butter sounds, especially a clap sound.)

>Just can't see an issue with how it's set up if i'm honest, add in the ability to create an entire studio set of drum sounds using the menu presets, sample into the pads what you want and save into a song file that you can load up - it's just ridiculously flexible!

???

I don't see what this has got to do with anything I said, or anything to do with what the OP was asking.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

You said it makes more sense to build a tone manually than to load an EXP expansion up, i just disagree on the basis that i've never had to manually build such a tone - yet i'm always making use of the drum menu presets on EXP-01 to come up with my own combinations, not only that i'm extremely satisfied with the content Roland made available for FA users and don't wonder why they didn't do x and y etc.

If that doesn't work for you/others then my other point is that it's great to have that flexibility and that the user banks are there for you to customise the FA as to how you want it to work, which is what you were discussing.

If you, or the OP hasn't learnt anything from this discussion then that's just how it goes, if you have or it's provided food for thought for anyone else reading this now or in the future - then great, it's been worth discussing.
scramble

Post by scramble »

It only takes a couple of minutes to create a clap tone from the in-built waveforms. Then you've still got two free EXP slots for other sounds.

If you have a free EXP slot then sure, use it for the claps if you want, but I'm assuming that most people want to fill those slots with their favourites out of the many EXP expansions available. For most of us there aren't enough EXP slots. If Dance Trax is one of your two favourites anyway, then great, but if it isn't you don't need to load it just for some claps.

Here are the locations of the in-built clap waveforms/samples on the FA:
PCM Synth waveforms Internal-A: 813-816
PCM Synth waveforms Internal-B: 620-648

Finger snaps/clicks:
Int-A: 817
Int-B: 649-652