No additional samples other than SRX?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Wmacky

No additional samples other than SRX?

Post by Wmacky »

Just watched a video were a user was able to load T5, and DX7 samples ( not sure where they came from), on his Fantom them split all of them across the keyboard to do a cover of a classic cover song from the 80's.

IT sounded perfect! Can this type of thing not be done on the FA series? I very interested in doing a lot of covers, and this ability seems very helpful. Was the FA the wrong choice for me?
Gatorjohn

Re: No additional samples other than SRX?

Post by Gatorjohn »

Yes, any of the 16 tones studio set can be split across the keyboard and or layered. The tones probably came from the Axial website. There are 10 exp packs for the FA and any of the Integra tone packs can be loaded also. Check out the Roland video thread pinned topic with Ed Diaz showing how to do layers and splits.
Wmacky

Post by Wmacky »

Yes, I'm aware that splits can be done, but was referring to the samples mainly. Would the Fantom also be limited the the "Axia site " samples only? Would I find what I want in the " Famous keys pack?
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

Yes, samples can be played from the keys. I'm not familiar with the "famous keys" pack for the FA. If it's for a Fantom, then it probably won't work in an FA. There are 8 sample packs in the FA section that can be loaded to the sampler or you can record your own.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

You can use any samples you like, which can be prepared sample packs (like from Axial) or manually sampled sounds.
But FA is not a sampler (the Fantom X/G were powerfull sampler), so the only way is to import wave files or sample via LINE IN from any audio source and first assign to the pads.

Playing samples on the FA keyboard means to select the PAD Part with the cursor in the Studio Set part overview menu. With this, you can play up to 64 single samples spreaded from the lowest key on the keyboard and you can split or layer them with other PARTS of the studio set. Maximum polyphony is 4.
Hope this helps so far.
stevel

Post by stevel »

FWIW, you can not load a "sample set" into the FA and expect to play the keyboard.

What happens is, you can sample ONE SOUND to ONE PAD (which can also be played by the keyboard on part 16).

So if you wanted a Major scale, you'd have to sample a C to pad 1, a D to pad 2, an E to pad 3 and so on.

You can just "import" a "piano sample" and then play the keys and get piano sounds across all the keys.

So it would be a long and tedious process to get 16 different sounds recorded from a DX7 patch so you could play 16 notes. You could record 48 samples, and then play the keys on part 16 and actually be able to play up to 48 different notes - 4 at a time... not sure how useful that would be.

The Sampler in the FA is better designed for recording something like a drum loop or pre-recorded pattern - my band used to do "Time" by Pink Floyd and I recorded the clock sounds at the beginning up until where the music starts and put that on one of the pads. Press that pad at the gig and pow, it plays back my recording.

So it's a "sample trigger pad" or "loop launch pad" really.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Well, depends on what a sample set is i guess - You can load a chunk of samples in one go, and i guess a sample set could be considered that - a ready prepared set of C, C#, D etc. samples for each key (Max of 64 samples, max of 4 playing at once).

But you're right, it's far from ideal - and i'd never do it for something like emulating a DX7 - i'd go to the internal sound engine way before that. I would only use samples if i desperately needed something organic/unique.
Wmacky

Post by Wmacky »

So that feature as implemented is more of a feature for a DJ, or Hip Hop preformer? That's disappointing. Though I guess it does have some utility such as the "Time" example, or a continuous drone.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Initially you mentioned to play many cover songs and 80's songs.
To do that, just use the internal sounds and maybe add SRX boards.
Don't limit yourself by playing all sounds on the sample track.
If you miss anything special (like the shakuhachi flute on gabriels sledgehammer) then sample it to one or more pads and play on pads or key zones.
I have a multisample pad setup of 10 keys with my old Kawai K1 choir sound. Play well and on top I can use them velocity sensitive.

You can not expect a full multisampling feature with time streching etc. for that price category even if the FA is Rolands flagship at the moment.
Must by older Fantom or Kronos with minimum double price.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Wmacky wrote:So that feature as implemented is more of a feature for a DJ, or Hip Hop preformer? That's disappointing. Though I guess it does have some utility such as the "Time" example, or a continuous drone.
Yeah, but you can record pretty long things into it - I've heard of people who record an entire backing track just to jam along with, or they'll record entire songs into a pad so they can practice along with it while learning it.

For me, the biggest advantage being in a cover band is to be able to trigger samples of things I couldn't play live - usually a one shot deal.

The guy who was in the band before me used a different setup, but the band used to play "Money" by Pink Floyd and he had sampled each of the cash register sounds at the beginning by breaking up an audio file in the daw and exporting each one to a single pad. Then the lead singer (who didn't sing on that song) would walk over and hit pads 1-7 in order. So I certainly could have set it up like that too.