New FA 06 owner

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
BobF

New FA 06 owner

Post by BobF »

As soon as UPS gets here. No questions yet, but I'm sure there will be many as I try to incorporate the FA into my studio workflow.

Been reading thru everything already posted here. Good tidbits
Gatorjohn

Re: New FA 06 owner

Post by Gatorjohn »

Congrats and welcome!
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Bob,
Be sure to check all the vids by Ed Diaz.
Regards,
Joe
BobF

Post by BobF »

I watched Ed's video lib 2 or 3 times in the months prior to ordering ;)

Been a few days and I have to say this way of working really suits me. I've always done non-guitar instruments with VST/i and a regular MIDI keyboard/controller. Even after many years the whole DAW/VI process feels clumsy to me. And I've tried several.

I do wish the built in rhythms were as functional for 6/8, 12/8 and other common time sigs as they are for 4/4, but as soon as I figure out how to convert AD and EZD MIDI to GM I'll have that little problem solved. I intend to move tracks to the DAW to finish up and the drums will be replaced there anyway, but still ...

Painless to bring in a guitar guide track, so maybe an audio drum track is the easiest way to go.

All things considered, I'm loving it so far. The whole non-stop rec/rehearse/rec/rehearse process really is everything Ed said it would be. :)
Candy

Post by Candy »

I hope, I understood you right.

Of course you can change the time signature of drum-tracks in the sequencer.
In Sequencer go to Song Utility and then to Time Signature. Here you can change the signature in every value you want.

How to do this with the Rhythm-Patterns, I don`t know, because I don`t use it.

Candy
BobF

Post by BobF »

Yes, I'm talking about patterns. Time sigs for songs is no problem
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

The whole EZ Drummer thing, do you tend to use the same Drum preset on the FA? I'm thinking that you could create your own Drum preset that matches the EZ Drummer mapping if so?

Would transform across back to your DAW and EZ Drummer then too.
BobF

Post by BobF »

I plan to suss out exporting/converting EZD MIDI tracks to GM. With that process down, I can't see how a nice set of user patterns wouldn't be pretty easy to set up.

The option of bringing in an audio drum track to work with might be the best route though - still thinking final drum tracks will be tweaked in the DAW.

This was a snap to do with a basic guitar track. I have to say though that recording the sample trigger is a little lame. Real-time record was the only way I could get the sample to trigger for its full length. The other downside to samples is that their levels can't be adjusted from the mixer - gotta go to the sampler for that.

Not a huge deal, but still something that breaks the flow a bit.

Overall though, I LOVE being able to bring in a guide track or two, then work without the DAW for as long as I wish.

Is there a Wish List somewhere for feature requests, or is that pretty futile with Roland?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Well, the regional Roland depts are pretty good to speak to (i.e. EU/UK/US) - apparently, the breakdown is getting to the folks in Japan who implement the changes.

So yes, if you had a wish list/ideas for changes, chances are you would tell your local Roland HQ, they'll say what good ideas there are... And that's about it! lol

If an update comes, it will come out of the blue, without warning - so, like most of us, work on the assumption that what you have right now, is how it's going to stay... You never know tho! ;)

And you're right, with the sampler option, one of the best uses is bringing in guide tracks like that- recording audio like you would a DAW is not so friendly, mainly cause you can't hear the other sample tracks being played when you record the new ones. :(

If you're interested, there is a gate mode on each sample pad and if you change that the sample will play indefinitely with just one press, you can then use the sequencer step view to enter a single note at the start of a bar to get it all in sync. Or real time press it and quantize, of course. :)

One other thing, you can go to the channel/track 16 in the sequencer and the pads are playable on the keyboard itself, and they become velocity sensitive.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Thanks for the gate tip. That sounds like a more sane approach.

I don't really have an interest in recording audio tracks into the FA. I can certainly understand why people want to, but it's not a requirement for me.