USB midi/audio settings + Cubase

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Key2in

USB midi/audio settings + Cubase

Post by Key2in »

Hi I have Roland FA06, Yamaha Moxf8 and RME UCX my DAW is Cubase, there is a lot of hiss/noise in the audio output L/R cables for both keyboards, but when I connect single keyboard via USB cable with midi/audio then audio recording in my Cubase is noiseless. After experiment a lot it is confirmed that my Cables are the problem!
As you know MOXF & FA06 can be connected via single USB cable with midi/audio provider so I just want to know how I can connect them both together through USB cable but, I want my UCX to stay connected as well so what internal settings will I need to do?
bennyseven

Re: USB midi/audio settings + Cubase

Post by bennyseven »

For audio-over-USB you'll need the Roland driver for your host system (it's on Rolands web site).
Check if you have two or more USB slots or go for a USB hub device.
Skijumptoes

Re: USB midi/audio settings + Cubase

Post by Skijumptoes »

What OS are you using? If it's MacOS/OSX then you can create an aggregate device that combines FA and MOXF as a combined input that can be separated within your DAW. (i.e. 2x stereo inputs)

Windows:- i've not used in such a long time for audio, so i'm not sure how you get multi inputs from separate sources to be selectable as one, but no doubt there's just as easy way.

In terms of the cause of your hissing/noise - You may find that the issue is when you have the USB cable connected to the FA, AND audio cables plugged in - there's some kind of noise that i get, but if i unplug the USB cable it's ok - Some kind of ground loop, so try this out and see if you can confirm if that's your issue.

I'm not sure if it's an inherit fault with the FA, or to do with it needing shielded USB cable, but would be interesting if your noise is the same cause.

Also, it's something that a DI box, like the Art DPDB could lift from the signal too, i've not got round to trying that yet.