Mac as mixer

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
ABGgd

Mac as mixer

Post by ABGgd »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but there's a FA-08 involved. My current setup is super simple. My FA-08 connected to my Mac via USB. The FA-08 is connected to a pair of monitor speakers. This works beautifully. When the FA is on, the Mac's audo mixes seamlessly with that of the FA through the monitors.

Now I want to add a System 8 to the mix (pun intended). I was wondering if the Mac will mix the input from the System 8 and pipe it out over USB to FA or do I need an external mixer? I'm trying to keep my setup as simple as possible.
BobF

Re: Mac as mixer

Post by BobF »

Have you considered an external box? I run a Windows DAW, but ...

I use a Samson C-Control matrix for various sound source routing.

I have my FA, US-16x08, PC internal sound and a BOSS GT-001 all connected to different inputs. My monitors, sub and secondary speakers are connected to the outs. It has phones out and mono function as well. There is also a talkback feature that I don't use.

Very handy and capable little box for $99 when I bought mine a few years ago.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Are you using USB Audio?

If so, yes you can simply add an integra, use it's USB Audio too, and in MacOS create an aggregate audio device that will combine the FA and Integra USB Audio streams into one audio device (Selectable in your DAW).

You can then output to your speakers using the FA, or Integra, whatever you chose.

However, if you're using USB Audio for both devices, the Integra, while offering multiple outputs via audio cables, only offers one stereo output over USB Audio.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Easiest way is to connect the System8 to the FA's line input jack, Then stream combined audio via usb to your mac.
Cable is about 10$ (i.e.: http://www.samash.com/insert-cables/hos ... ths-hcmp15)