Using the pads to add layers

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Emmerson

Using the pads to add layers

Post by Emmerson »

I am looking to make some layers as follows....

Piano - 1, Organ -2, Strings - 3, Elec.Piano - 4, Brass -5....etc

I wan't to start by press Pad 1 for piano then add strings on pad 3 so both are playing and then add Elec. Piano etc...

There seems to be a problem if Pad 1 is not selected where it is still playing.

Maybe I'm using the wrong setting to do this.

Also there's a problem if one of my patches uses more than one layer. (I normally use the same channel number for multi- layered pads)

Basically I want to be able to select one or more PADS at once as I am playing to build/reduce layers.
Skijumptoes

Re: Using the pads to add layers

Post by Skijumptoes »

Try enabling the keyboard ('Key') selection for each part, they will play without the part being selected then, and you can mute as required using the pads.

Or, i think you can also set them to the same channel (i.e. 1)
Emmerson

Post by Emmerson »

using the keys means that each sound cannot 'overlap' and be layered
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Oh you should be able to, as long as you've got the splits set up correctly, the keyboard will play directly into those parts.

One question, With the pads - what mode are you using? Are you using parts select or part mute?

You are best to use Part Mute for what you want to achieve, and then unmute the parts you want to hear as you play. Or you can use the KBD SW mode to turn those keyboard switches on/off for each part I've never tried it that way however, so don't know how it will behave.

You have to watch voice polyphony if you're building up largish studio sets and muting them, as it's still using voice allocation, so maybe, if it works for you, KDB SW is a good option?
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

I've been using the Pads in Keyboard Switch Mode for this. I use piano for Part 1 and then add bells, strings etc....

One thing to note is that the current part that is outlined in blue in the Studio Set will always play, and I'm pretty sure it does so regardless of the KB Switch position. So for me, I keep the current part on the piano (#1) and add layers as desired.

Good luck!
Joe
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Joe P wrote:I've been using the Pads in Keyboard Switch Mode for this. I use piano for Part 1 and then add bells, strings etc....

One thing to note is that the current part that is outlined in blue in the Studio Set will always play, and I'm pretty sure it does so regardless of the KB Switch position. So for me, I keep the current part on the piano (#1) and add layers as desired.

Good luck!
Joe
Ditto this. I always put my first part as something that will alway play, and select it - before saving the Studio Set. When I recall the studio set, it is selected.. And I can add the other layers without issues