Audio Level Problems

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Bri555

Audio Level Problems

Post by Bri555 »

Hi guys. So....trouble-shooting question for you all here. At my band rehearsal tonight, I had some audio level issues. Both my main outputs and my headphone out signals would reduce down by at least half, while I was playing mid song. I tried the old power on n off thing, checked my cable connections, repowered up my amp. Nothing really solved the problem. Any ideas as to what would cause this?

I had been jamming on my board at home within Presonus Studio One 3, on and off all day today without any problems. Then, once at practice, bad stuff started to happen.

ANY SUGGESTIONS would be GREATLY appreaciated as I have two big shows this weekend and desperately need my board to be reliable.
Skijumptoes

Re: Audio Level Problems

Post by Skijumptoes »

Just thinking any possible causes:-

Have you got an expression pedal plugged in?

Was D Beam enabled?

Did you have the sequencer running?

Did you try moving the level knob forward and back (Sound assign section) to make sure this hadn't just got the jitters?

Do you run with compressor enabled?
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Bri555 wrote:I tried the old power on n off thing, checked my cable connections, repowered up my amp. Nothing really solved the problem.
After switching the unit on, do you have full volume or is it half volme again?
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

If you have no problems running the FA into your DAW, I'm assuming over USB, could it be audio cables with high resistance maybe? Also might be worth checking the Master EQ input gain as well. Any TFX running?

Just another thought, are you running audio in Mono to your amp? I'm not sure, but if so maybe panning on a stereo patch may affect the level.
scramble

Post by scramble »

There are numerous possible explanations for this, we need some more information about what precisely is your setup. For eg. are you going straight into the amp, or via a mixer? Have you tested your audio cables with a proper cable tester? Where is your headphone feed coming from -- direct from the FA, or via the amp, or a mixer? And you need to answer all the sort of questions that Skijumptoes has asked (note I said 'sort of questions' -- so not just his specific questions, which he gave as a subset of examples, but questions of that general sort).

Basically, detail all equipment and connections in rehearsal and studio, and explain what troubleshooting you have already done.

>Nothing really solved the problem.

Do you mean this kept happening on song after song? Or that the volume level, once it had reduced once, wouldn't go back up again? More detail needed.

>I had been jamming on my board at home within Presonus Studio One 3, on and off all day today without any problems. Then, once at practice, bad stuff started to happen.

Again, more detail is needed. Are you using different amps/monitors at home compared to practise? Have you tested the practise amp/monitor with other sources? Did you try connecting up a different amp/monitor to the FA at practise after the volume drop happened? Are we talking a crummy rehearsal room amp/monitor, or your own (well-tested) gear? Have you tried with the amp/monitor you will use on stage?
Wmacky

Post by Wmacky »

Watching this as I bought mine used, and the output level seems somewhat low on mine also.

Is there a test that can be done to determine if the current output is within spec?
OnAPaleStallion

Post by OnAPaleStallion »

I'm a new roland user, FA-06. Truth be told I'm new to keyboards period. I too am having an output level issue. The keyboard is stock from Sweetwater and I'm using balanced TRS to TRS to a Presonus 192. The piano/synth/guitar patches volume is very low. The basic ones that you can select from the buttons right below the LCD. I've found the output gain, maxed @ 127, vol knob to max, still low volume. I can up the input gain on the 192, but still can't clip the input on the various patches. As I was testing i hit one of the 16 pads and dam near blew my speakers. I'll be doing some more testing/learning this weekend. Any suggestions will be appreciated. First thing I'm gonna check is the firmware. I also have some TRS to XLR cables on the way. I don't get why the instrument patches are low and the pads are so much higher. Many thanks in advance.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

In general, my experience is that the pad volumes are higher than the patch volumes, but there should be never such a low output for patches as you described.
What you can try is to set the system gain higher, which can be adjusted in the system menu.
But the output volume of patches / studio sets should be somehow normal. If you try to load one of the factory songs, and reset to factory defaults, here must be a normal volume. Otherwise it is a hardware fault.
OnAPaleStallion

Post by OnAPaleStallion »

Thanks for the reply benny. I did do some re-wiring in the studio this weekend but I haven't had a chance to test the levels yet. I will sometime this week and I'll post back. I did verify I have the latest firmware.