Polyphonic Synth Patches

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Bratan

Polyphonic Synth Patches

Post by Bratan »

Is there any way to tell which synth sounds are polyphonic? I mean other than going thru each of them manually :)
Seems most of them are monophonic.
Skijumptoes

Re: Polyphonic Synth Patches

Post by Skijumptoes »

There's a poly synth category if you scroll to the right after selecting synth.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Most (or many) of the things marked "lead" or are monophonic.Also Bass synths in general, as well as many things marked "moog" or similarly are often monophonic.

That doesn't always hold true of course - for example, my sound 877 EQ Lead 1 is polyphonic and I know there are polyphonic bass sounds.

"Majestic Trumpet" is also monophonic, but the name doesn't really indicate it.

Of course, you can edit any of them to change them from mono to poly and vice versa.

One thing you can do if you like, is go Shift - Studio Common - and then scroll over to S1/S2 and assign one of the two buttons above the pitch bend lever to switch between mono/poly (set to latch mode to be able to not have to hold the button).

This means you can effectively change any sound at any time from mono to poly (after you hear initially what mode it's in first!).

There's probably a list out there somewhere, and I wouldn't mind having it myself. I haven't checked if it's buried in the manual somewhere. Maybe someone else knows.

My experience with the FA thus far is, you simply need to save a bunch of different studio sets with a version of the sound you need and then you'll know...
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

very good idea, stevel!
stevel

Post by stevel »

OP, this may not help, but another thing I came across tonight is that you can force each part to be monophonic or polyphonic.

Press Shift, select Part View, then scroll all the way down to Mono/Poly/Legato.

The default setting is "tone", meaning it uses whatever the tone was stored as.

You can set it to Poly or Mono instead, forcing any sound you call up to be Poly or Mono.

I know that doesn't tell you which ones are originally that way or not, but at least it gives you another measure of control over them if you want.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

you can also set a S1/S2 switch to MONO/POLY and switch between both states instantly.
Bratan

Post by Bratan »

Fantastic!!! Thank you so much guys!