Fa-06 vs Fantom x sequencer

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Worsaw

Re: Fa-06 vs Fantom x sequencer

Post by Worsaw »

I'm getting away from the computer. Tired of writing that way so thats why im trying something different. I've been going over manuals and watching demos ect.... I've found the korg workstation sequencers to be the easiest to navigate around. I think the fa-06 has better internal sounds but the sequencer leaves alot to be desired for controlling external synths, which is to bad because they could fix these issues with a firmware update but chose not to.

As for the pc3le, it doesn't seem to user friendly. The Social Entropy Engine is kinda cool.

I prefer writing in both linear and pattern modes, so the ability to do both is a must or at least be ablr to loop certain points within a song. This is why the Krome is the leader atm.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Yer you'll find the Krome or the MotifXF are probably your best bets. Remember my post was just my experience - I'm more from a Roland UI background, so to me Korg speak Chinese, it's all nonsensical arrangements of feature sets that needs a totally different thought process. The XF has a linear sequencer with pattern chunks that can be jumped between. I was very tempted by this keyboard to do the job actually (I found there weren't enough videos showing the sequencer in use, and shops no longer carry demos), but settled on the Kurzweil based off general opinion of the product quality, and the sheer power.

THE POWER! (Spoken like that part in Star Wars Rogue 1... hahah)...

Yes the Kurzweil is not that user friendly in terms of a big colour screen etc, but really everything is just a few button presses away, which is actually quicker than things like the FA - it's just not as pretty on the eyes, but you should be playing music not looking at a screen :P. The Kurzweil runs in 6 modes, with Setup mode being the one you should investigate (the 16 seperate channels of control etc). Sound wise it uses the PC3 engine which is top end incredible sounding - I bought this just as a controller but it immediately forced its way sonically into my rig - perfect compliment tone/thickness wise to the JD-XA. You have a seperate arp for each channel, and a global, and a "riff" per channel (a sequence basically), which gives a lot of control - insane control, nothing else has that. You can pretty much specify anything to do anything, double up the same tracks via midi duplication to achieve weird effects, routing things however - the possibilities are endless, and given the way I have been growing as a musician in the keyboard realm I thought best to buy for the future a bit rather than buy something that only reaches my current musical/thinking limit. I'm testing out today plugging in an old windows tablet with the Kurzweil software on it via the USB port to see if I can basically give my kurzweil an 8" full colour touch screen! I'll post here how that works out.
Worsaw

Post by Worsaw »

So i was just going through the Kurzweil manual. The sequencer does seem very powerful and that unloop function seems very cool. But i saw nothing about being able to step record. I need this feature if im recording a crazy fast 1/16th note bass line or something. Is there a way to step record?

thanks

Myrk- wrote:Yer you'll find the Krome or the MotifXF are probably your best bets. Remember my post was just my experience - I'm more from a Roland UI background, so to me Korg speak Chinese, it's all nonsensical arrangements of feature sets that needs a totally different thought process. The XF has a linear sequencer with pattern chunks that can be jumped between. I was very tempted by this keyboard to do the job actually (I found there weren't enough videos showing the sequencer in use, and shops no longer carry demos), but settled on the Kurzweil based off general opinion of the product quality, and the sheer power.

THE POWER! (Spoken like that part in Star Wars Rogue 1... hahah)...

Yes the Kurzweil is not that user friendly in terms of a big colour screen etc, but really everything is just a few button presses away, which is actually quicker than things like the FA - it's just not as pretty on the eyes, but you should be playing music not looking at a screen :P. The Kurzweil runs in 6 modes, with Setup mode being the one you should investigate (the 16 seperate channels of control etc). Sound wise it uses the PC3 engine which is top end incredible sounding - I bought this just as a controller but it immediately forced its way sonically into my rig - perfect compliment tone/thickness wise to the JD-XA. You have a seperate arp for each channel, and a global, and a "riff" per channel (a sequence basically), which gives a lot of control - insane control, nothing else has that. You can pretty much specify anything to do anything, double up the same tracks via midi duplication to achieve weird effects, routing things however - the possibilities are endless, and given the way I have been growing as a musician in the keyboard realm I thought best to buy for the future a bit rather than buy something that only reaches my current musical/thinking limit. I'm testing out today plugging in an old windows tablet with the Kurzweil software on it via the USB port to see if I can basically give my kurzweil an 8" full colour touch screen! I'll post here how that works out.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Have a look at chapter 7-35 of the PC3LE manual - all step sequences are done with the arpeggiators (of which you have 16). Song mode is used to craft other riffs that can then be recalled back into Setup mode. I tried my tablet, didn't work (think it was the adapter) but my touchscreen laptop worked a treat on the editor, giving me live mixer control and editing on a big colour screen. I'm gunna get a different adapter tomorrow to get the tablet working as it's old and useless otherwise (crappy cheapo china brand thing). Try downloading the PC3 editor from Soundtower to have a rough gander at the sort of control you get out of it.