Where do the FA sounds "come from"?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
stevel

Where do the FA sounds "come from"?

Post by stevel »

Years ago I bought a Roland SC88ST Pro Sound Canvas (which I still have and it works great, though I have no way to edit it other than in real time with a controller :-( ).

It had the GM sound set and I believe the GS extensions.

I think some of the sounds are from the "MT 32" legacy.

I assume the Integra and FA sounds are "new" for the instrument - especially the supernatural sounds.

But are there others like the PCMs from other legacy synths - or rather, synthesis methods?

I know one GM Drum Kit (or FX) has the exact same old Squeaking Door, Car Start, Dog Bark, Laugh, etc. that my Sound Canvas has - and I think they're also on my D5 as well!

Are these still "MT 32" sounds?

Are they using the same architecture or are they samples?

I thought I saw something about sounds coming from the 5080 or something.

IOW, is buying an FA like buying all (or many of) the sounds from legacy synths X, Y, and Z, plus its own supernatural sounds?
Skijumptoes

Re: Where do the FA sounds "come from"?

Post by Skijumptoes »

The FA for me, is exactly that - it's like a huge 'best of' collection plus supernatural with one of the best interfaces in modern Roland history, and yes you get the GM banks, and the silly dog bark sound effects, and even masses more FX like sounds from the new synthesis engine.

On top of that you have the axial website which can expand the sounds further adding more PCM sounds.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

Yes, the Roland FA-08 sounds mostly come from the XV-5080. From what I've read, that's the source of all the non-supernatural acoustic instrument samples that come in the unit. In addition, through axial, you can download sounds from the SRX cards (which in turn, also included sounds from the older JV cards), and of course, those cards could also be installed in the XV-5080.

In addition to the XV-5080 base, they added the SuperNatural Synthesizer VA synth engine (which I think was introduced in the Jupiter 80, and also appears in the Jupiter 50 and Integra-7) and the SuperNatural tonewheel organ (ditto, and also appears in the VR-09).

And finally, there are some SuperNatural acoustic instrument sounds:

piano
tine EP
reed EP
clav
acoustic bass
electric bass
acoustic guitar
ensemble strings

all of which are in the Integra-7, and except for the ensemble strings, also in the Jupiter 50/80. Those instruments have many more SN sounds, however.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

p.s. to my previous post... even though certain sample sets among different instruments are identical, it doesn't mean that every patch sounds identical or can be duplicated between these models, because there are other differences, specifically in the effects structures.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Thanks.

Are all the GM, GM2, GS extension type sounds from the XV 5080 base too?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Not a big GM/GM2 user, but i just assumed Roland's GM/GM2 set was standard across all Roland gear?

Probably wrong in a assuming that of course.
Joho

Post by Joho »

Skijumptoes wrote:The FA for me, is exactly that - it's like a huge 'best of' collection plus supernatural with one of the best interfaces in modern Roland history....

On top of that you have the axial website which can expand the sounds further adding more PCM sounds.
Exactly the reason why I decided to buy, also the keyboard quality. And it´s not only possible to expand it with Axial sounds for FA, also the Integra 7 sounds can be used... nice easter egg. Why? It´s the same synth sound engine like in Integra 7. Officially reported by Roland ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwF36wsH688

PDF How-To Guide: https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... 52d6aea83/
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

Joho wrote:And it´s not only possible to expand it with Axial sounds for FA, also the Integra 7 sounds can be used... nice easter egg. Why? It´s the same synth sound engine like in Integra 7. Officially reported by Roland ;-)/
Right, the SuperNatural synth is shared among numerous instruments... FA, Integra, Jupiter 50/80, VR-09 (though the effects and layering structures on these keyboards differ, so to that extent, there can still be differences in the sounds you can create). These boards also all have SuperNatural tonewheel organ. Other than that, the selection of SuperNatural instruments (acoustic tones) varies widely, from none (VR-09), to a handful (FA), to many (Jupiter), to the most (Integra). Though the SuperNatural synth, being a synth, is itself, capable of tons of different sounds. The Axial Integra sounds that can be loaded into the FA are synth patches.
corvax

Post by corvax »

Are there any other sources of Integra7 Supernatural sounds apart from the Axial?
I need some realistic acoustic instruments like vibraphone, flutes or sax but I could not find those on axial as it seems to offer only synths tones.

Could someone please share where you can download all these from?
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

corvax wrote:Are there any other sources of Integra7 Supernatural sounds apart from the Axial?
I need some realistic acoustic instruments like vibraphone, flutes or sax but I could not find those on axial as it seems to offer only synths tones.

Could someone please share where you can download all these from?
The FA includes the Integra7 SuperNatural *synth* functionality, which is why the downloadable sounds are synth sounds... they are synth patches for the synth engine that already exists in both boards. The FA does not include the Integra7's SuperNatural acoustic (i.e. "real") instrument functionality, except for piano, EP, clav, organ, bass, acoustic guitar, and ensemble strings. The other SN acoustic functionality in the Integra simply doesn't exist in the FA, so it's not simply a matter of downloading sounds. However, there are lots of other sampled acoustic sounds you can load into the FA from http://axial.roland.com/category/fa-06_fa-08/ - all the EXP expansions which were derived from the older SRX cards, so you may find some you like there, even if they are not "supernatural."
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

The Supernatural sounds on the FA are limited to what it ships with, the only way of adding new sounds/pcm waves is via the EXP expansions on the radial website. And as they're using the older PCM based format they won't sound as good as the extended Supernatural palette found on the Integra, but you may find something in the world, orchestra or brass or expansions perhaps?
corvax

Post by corvax »

Skijumptoes wrote:The Supernatural sounds on the FA are limited to what it ships with, the only way of adding new sounds/pcm waves is via the EXP expansions on the radial website. And as they're using the older PCM based format they won't sound as good as the extended Supernatural palette found on the Integra, but you may find something in the world, orchestra or brass or expansions perhaps?
Thanks. Did you mean Axial website? If not, could you please share the link to the Radial?

Cheers!
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Sorry, yes, Axial - not a clue where Radial came from lol.