FA-06 Lose Pad Samples When Loading Song

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
timswiley

FA-06 Lose Pad Samples When Loading Song

Post by timswiley »

Maybe there is something i'm not understanding. I power my unit up with latest firmware. My samples are there in my 4 banks no problem. I then hit the sequencer button and choose to load up an empty song and it loads but all my pads now are empty. I exit sequencer mode and the pads samples and assignments are gone until i turn the unit off and back on. Maybe i'm misunderstanding but i though the pad/sample assignments across the 4 banks were universal and always accessible? One more caveat. The song i have saved before will still let me access the pads/samples, but as soon as i want to work on a new song gone poof.

thanks for any help...

Tim
Skijumptoes

Re: FA-06 Lose Pad Samples When Loading Song

Post by Skijumptoes »

Pad samples are saved with the song files, not the studio sets - so, if i want default samples i save a blank song and use that as the starting point for new projects.

The reason they're there when you turn the unit on is because the default song is being loaded up, and thus the pads.

I hope that makes sense! :)
timswiley

Post by timswiley »

Thanks so much appreciate that. I kinda of finally after far too long with my dense brain indirectly figured some of that out late last night, but wasn't connecting the dots until reading your email. Wish i knew this head-on so i could properly plan a "Template" Song with all my master drum samples so i could have been better organized as it stands now my samples are with a song that was nothing more than a scratchpad/throwaway song. But will go back and clean up.

Thanks So Much!!!!

Tim
stevel

Post by stevel »

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand this:

So, if the samples are saved with a song, does that mean if I load up Song 1, I could have 48 samples, and then if I load up Song 2, I could have 48 DIFFERENT samples?

[edit, I just found the factory default samples online and sure enough, there are 48 in song 1, and 48 in song 2.]

Somehow, I deleted my factory samples. I did a factory reset at some point and never really thought about it.

But I've saved a few sequences - none of which have anything on the sample pad...

But if it's true that I could have different "songs" of 48, I wouldn't mind having one song that's a "default" with the original factory samples just to have them.

[I backed up my handful of sequences to the card and reloaded the factory samples and yes, this is true]

But knowing I could make different "songs" with 48 samples each means you could actually call up a song and play channel 16 and have a "sampler" so to speak - especially since you could just import wav files in folders...

[edit, and this really does mean that the FA IS a sampling keyboard in that you can map at least the 48 samples to the keys - you can't sample once and have it change pitch per sample, but you could literally take 48 samples of wave files that might be like a single pitch, and put an entire scale on a single instrument sound on it (or you could make an upside down chromatic scale, etc.). It would be a lot of work, but...]
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

SteveL, yes you can play samples on the keys. But mainly a sampling keyboard has real sampling features, lke multi samples (no need to make pitched samples manually), time stretching, wave edit features (more like 'truncate' like on the FA)).
But indeed, it is a cool option to play samples which are manually sampled, prepared by DAW or whatever. And it is velocity sensitive, which the pads are not.
And there seems to be no limits, how much songs are stored on a card, expect the card memory. So, 256 GB samples gives much options to play samples without looping them due to memory limitations etc.
Neil ForestTree

Post by Neil ForestTree »

I find this feature quite annoying, although I can understand how others find it useful. I notice there is an option to save samples (or not) with each new song but no explanation of how this works.

What's the easiest way to move a sample from one song to another?

Is there a way of having a set of samples that remain the same no matter which song I load?
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

I think we can have 64 samples per song (4 banks with 16 samples each)

you can't have some samples independent from the songs. All samples are coming with the songs.
Deadkeys

Post by Deadkeys »

So when I load a new song or start a new song...None of the samples I wish to use are loaded...How can I use the samples from one song into another song? I have to sample the same samples again into the new song? This seems weird. I saw a video that said I could cut and paste but only from within one songs banks of samples not across songs.,
cda

Post by cda »

Deadkeys wrote: 00:32, 5 July 2023 So when I load a new song or start a new song...None of the samples I wish to use are loaded...How can I use the samples from one song into another song? I have to sample the same samples again into the new song? This seems weird. I saw a video that said I could cut and paste but only from within one songs banks of samples not across songs.,
Export the sample and then import it into the new song. I don't know if you can access the export folder in import sample mode (I am away from my studio) but you can put the card in a computer and copy it over to the import sample folder (or whatever it's called).