Using FA06 with Garage Band

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
marc.hulligan

Using FA06 with Garage Band

Post by marc.hulligan »

When you are using the sample pads on FA06 while connected to Garage Band, it seems to be triggering random notes in Garage Band

Has anyone else had this problem or know how to solve it?
bennyseven

Re: Using FA06 with Garage Band

Post by bennyseven »

The notes are triggered because each sample pad is assigned to a midi note in the pad part.
That is why we can play the pad part on the keys if the part is selected in the studio set menu view.

If not set up otherwise, the pad part is assigned to midi channel 16.
In Garage Band, try to skip this channel and no more notes will be triggered.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Not by my FA at the moment, but can't you also disable TX/RX (Transmit/Receive) on the studio set view for each part (i.e. part 16).
stevel

Post by stevel »

Skijumptoes wrote:Not by my FA at the moment, but can't you also disable TX/RX (Transmit/Receive) on the studio set view for each part (i.e. part 16).
Actually, I don't see where you can.

You can change the channel of any given part (but not to "off") and you can filter what the FA *receives* but I don't see anything about *transmit* other than global settings.

I think the OP's problem is the same as if they were playing a Piano sound on Part 1, and had an instrument track up in garage band with a Flute sound on it - you're going to hear both the Piano from the FA if you're monitoring its audio, and you're going to hear the Flute from GB if you're monitoring it's audio as well.

Since the pads are really like playing the keys on Part 16, same problem.

You'd have to tell GB not to react to note messages on ch 16 (or skip it).

But I think what the OP is really trying to do maybe is use an audio track to hear (and record?) sounds from the FA's pads. That simply means if there's a Software Instrument track on channel 16, (or "All MIDI Channels") it shouldn't be record-enabled (or should be set to a different number).

I can't remember how much filtering you can do in GB, so yeah, I think safest thing is to just not have a track that's set to channel 16 in any way!