Sync with DAW - Arpeggiator, Rhyhthm Patterns?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
stevel

Sync with DAW - Arpeggiator, Rhyhthm Patterns?

Post by stevel »

So, I've been experimenting with trying to sync the FA to Reaper.

The best I can get is by choosing Mackie Universal Control in Reaper, and being in song mode on the FA, Reaper can cause the FA to play, stop, etc.

This is the FA as a Slave of course.

However, weird thing - then I press play in reaper, the FA plays an A note. Then when I press the spacebar again (stop) it plays a Bb (or vice versa).

I can actually play the same A or Bb on the FA and it will cause Reaper to play and stop!!!!!!

What I'd like to really accomplish is have it set up so I can choose an arpeggio in the FA and set the tempo, and have Reaper lock to that - so reaper records at the same tempo as what the FA spits out.

I've tried all of the DAW settings and just can't seem to get it. Online help isn't too helpful thus far.

I'm going to experiment some more and see what I can come up with.

The best I could get was that reaper would react in MTC mode from song mode on the FA, but it would just stutter on and off and not run logically. And the tempo on the FA certainly wouldn't control the tempo in Reaper...
Skijumptoes

Re: Sync with DAW - Arpeggiator, Rhyhthm Patterns?

Post by Skijumptoes »

If you're operating certain Mackie standard messages, make sure you use the DAW control Midi device of the FA, not the main FA Midi device where your note data is sent.

Mackie is just standard note messages on it's own midi device.

To get Reaper to become slave, you need to set it so in the synchronisation settings, and pick the FA as timecode source. Personally, i prefer the DAW to be master and the FA syncs to that, changing tempo of Arp's etc. based on the DAW's setting.