Can a pedal control the volume on 1 sound only?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Rikipip

Can a pedal control the volume on 1 sound only?

Post by Rikipip »

If I have a studio set with 8 sounds.
Can I set it so when I start the song sound 1 is set to 20, but then as the chorus comes increase the volume on that sound only to 80 volume and back down again via footpedal?
Skijumptoes

Re: Can a pedal control the volume on 1 sound only?

Post by Skijumptoes »

I've not tried it, but you should just be able to select that part and then record the foot pedal automation into the sequencer.

Just make sure that nothing else is on the same channel as part 8, or the keyboard switch is on for other channels (Which will take the focus of controls too).

There is a problem with an expression pedal controlling volume across multiple parts - as i experienced it, but i can't remember what it is off the top of my head. I'm sure it sets itself to 0 or 127 as you move between them, so be wary of that.
Rikipip

Post by Rikipip »

Thanks for that.
I do t use the sequencer, I use studio sets with a live band
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Ah ok, so you could be controlling more than one part at a time then?

If that's the case, then within the studio set you can enable/disable midi messages that each part reacts to, so you maybe check that out:-

In the studio set view, hold shift and go to 'Part View', then scroll across to the 'Midi RX Filter' page, in there you can disable Expression pedal for the other parts, just to be on the safe side.

Not sure how you would max it out at 80, but there may even be a setting hidden up to do that too, unless that's not too critical?

There is another option, and that's to have a second part at volume 80, and use the pad mode to mute parts as you play. But that's not so elegant as you can hit max note polyphony pretty quick when muting parts, as they are still being rendered within the sound engine.
Neil ForestTree

Post by Neil ForestTree »

There is another way and that is to use the control function in the mfx. Most mfx have control options for level so set that to be controlled by a footswitch and a level change will occur even if nothing else in the mfx changes.