Intro Baba O Riley

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Sinatralover77

Intro Baba O Riley

Post by Sinatralover77 »

Hi, looking for help with the keys intro for Baba O Riley Sound. Any help please I have the FA06 and also have the DS61 Desperate here in Philly Thanks
stevel

Re: Intro Baba O Riley

Post by stevel »

We sampled it :-)

That's what The Who did live :-)

There are a few vids on YT that show what PT originally used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGP0sxABITs

It's like a home organ with a repeat function (I think it was a "Marimba" function - edit, I just found the vid above and you can even read "Marimba" on the button that's flipped closest to the camera!) that doesn't produce repeated notes like you'd expect.

I got pretty close with a "slapback delay" - a delay with one repeat very close to the original note - in time, to make it 16th notes.

You need the lower part to go FF-CC-ff-CC (IIRC it's slightly out of pitch between E and F, and PT has a capo on fret 1 on the live footage, so he was playing "in E" but sounding in F - when we played it, we moved the sample down to E and played it in E for the sake of the singer!).

I could use an arpeggiator on an old synth to play the F-C-f-C pattern and used the delay to get the repeated notes.

I bet you could absolutely program the FA arpeggiator to do it, or you could just sequence in that part.

Because you probably want some way to hold it (unless you're manually going to play it all).

With the right delay, it was possible to play the upper note patterns and get them to sound reasonably close.

Hal Leonard has a "note for note keyboard transcriptions" book that has BoR transcribed pretty accurately, although it only has the intro and the middle section ("Don't cry...") written out.

The pattern does actually change throughout the song.

I'm just not good enough to play the repeated notes with the LH and the melodic bits on top - and I don't think PT did either with the way that organ worked. It may be as easy as the video shows, but when I did it with an arp, I did the arp in the LH and just held it, and did the upper notes on a split so the octave was the same (the upper note of the LH pattern is actually higher than the little moving notes). So i did it "two manual" style.

The sound to me always had a bit of a "string like" idea to it, even though it's that typical "home organ" sound (we had a Wurlitzer growing up, and it pretty much made "that kind" of sound).

So you might try your organ banks first and then maybe some of the Synths - either organ like or string like synths.

IMHO, you can get the tone in the ballbark and that's good enough - it's really the effect that's make or break.

Good luck.
Sinatralover77

Post by Sinatralover77 »

Thank You Friend !!!! Appreciate ALL that info
frank123

Post by frank123 »

Hi,

there are instructions for that patch in the web:
http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183/th ... iley/27730

Further you can buy a patch for the Juno Di and load it into the DS with the Di's editor. Then you can analyze and recreate the patch using your FA.

Cheers

Frank