MIDI with my own instruments

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Reithal

MIDI with my own instruments

Post by Reithal »

Hi, sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker.
I have R Fa-06 and sometimes, we have to play with MIDI files. But that is a problem. When I import the file, keyboard use it's own instruments in it (sometimes from completely wrong group - f.e. instead of guitare it uses organs or brass section). I made my own Studio Set, but when I press Play, my instruments are changed to default (assigned by keyboard) so I have to Pause it, load my Studio Set again and continue. It's really stressful a time-consuming. Also I tried to export MIDI into a Sample or MP3 with my instruments, but again, they were changed to default, but I can't Pause it and change again. Is there any possibility how to do it more easily during playing and also how to make samples and MP3 using my own instruments? I'm really desperate, can't find anything in manual.
Thanks
Skijumptoes

Re: MIDI with my own instruments

Post by Skijumptoes »

Those midi tracks that you're importing probably have program change messages embedded at the start of the midi sequence, so the FA is defaulting to General Midi patches based on that as it plays back.

I don't import MIDI files, but if you could find a way of stripping out the program change messages before importing (Maybe there's a batch convertor out there?), or maybe there's some easy way on the FA to strip them out that someone here can help with?

If there's a blank section at the start of the midi files you may be able to just delete that when you first import that file. The program changes will be at the start of the sequence so, and you may get away with being able to delete the first bar for example.

In the settings of the FA there is a midi tab where you can set whether the FA responds to program change messages, i'm not near my FA to check right now, but it's possible that if you disable that it may work with the internal sequencer too. (It definitely works with external gear).
stevel

Post by stevel »

Reithal wrote:Hi, sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker.
I have R Fa-06 and sometimes, we have to play with MIDI files. But that is a problem. When I import the file, keyboard use it's own instruments in it (sometimes from completely wrong group - f.e. instead of guitare it uses organs or brass section). I made my own Studio Set, but when I press Play, my instruments are changed to default (assigned by keyboard) so I have to Pause it, load my Studio Set again and continue. It's really stressful a time-consuming. Also I tried to export MIDI into a Sample or MP3 with my instruments, but again, they were changed to default, but I can't Pause it and change again. Is there any possibility how to do it more easily during playing and also how to make samples and MP3 using my own instruments? I'm really desperate, can't find anything in manual.
Thanks
As Skijumptoes said, there are embedded Program Change messages in the MIDI Sequence file you're trying to play.

Do you use a DAW like Cubase, Logic, or Reaper, etc.?

If so, you can open up the MIDI file in your DAW and look for "Program Change" messages which consist of MSB, LSB, and PC messages. It's these messages that are telling your FA to "Go to Bank 4 and play sound 17".

If you can delete those messages, it will stay on the sounds you selected instead (of course you'll need to save the file and put it back in the FA).

I believe, if you load up your Sequence, and press Shift and Microscope, it will give you a listing of the MIDI events on that track. If there's any MSB, LSB, and PC messages, you can delete them there. Sometimes these are contained at the beginning of a single track (which may not have any other music on it) but sometimes they're on each individual track. So you'll have to hunt them all down and delete them (alternatively, you could set them to the MSB, LSB, and PC #s for the FA to make it change to that sound no matter what Studio Set you're on! - this would be pretty time consuming though).

Once you do this, it should stay on your correct sounds and exporting should work fine.

Your English is very good!

Best,
Steve
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Very good advices from stevel so far.
I have found out, that 90% of the midi files I have downloaded i.e. from electrofresh.com, will work with the general midi studio set from the factory settings "PRST 064 - GM2 Template".
Maybe you will try this. I think it'll only use LSB or something and I have very good success with the sound groups and sounds if the files contain some program changes. Sometimes sounds must be adjusted slightly.
Reithal

Post by Reithal »

Thank you! A have found a line with Program Change in the System menu and putting it Off causes, that my setting of instruments are no longer reseted after new start of the song.
Thank you for your help everyone! :)